Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddies) is a chocolatey sweet treat. With just a few common ingredients, like Chex, chocolate, and peanut butter, they are ready in minutes!
Hot Summer Days
We have been spending our summer days at the beach the past few weeks and trying not to look at a calendar. The inevitable “back to school” rush is looming in the distance and, before we know it, we’ll be meal prepping and packing snacks to pack in lunch boxes.
Even though the calendar seems to be my enemy right now, I’m still practicing with a few snack options so we aren’t bored with the same old thing by October and this Muddy Buddy recipe has been on repeat…..even on the hottest beach days.
What I love most about this easy Puppy Chow snack is that you don’t even need to turn on the oven. They’re no bake! And they’re so simple to make the kids can do it themselves.
What is Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow, also known as, Puppy Chow Mix, Muddy Buddies, Monkey Munch or Muddy Munch, is a homemade snack made with rice cereal (like Chex or Crispix), peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar.
It’s like a dessert snack mix and it’s definitely kid-friendly. If you have a child with peanut allergies, you can make this snack mix by substituting the peanut butter with Sunflower Seed Butter.
How to Make Puppy Chow
I love the easiness of this Puppy Chow recipe and it’s so fun to do with your kids. Puppy Chow ingredients are likely in your pantry already!
- MELT: Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in the microwave until smooth. Melt in 30-second increments stirring in between each. You can also do this on the stovetop by placing a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water and melting the ingredients that way.
- MIX: Add the cereal to the mix….simply stir the cereal into the melted chocolate/peanut butter mixture. I like to use Rice Chex but you can use any type of crunchy cereal squares you prefer.
- COOL: When completely coated, toss with the powdered sugar to cover completely and then spread on a baking sheet and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
Transfer to an airtight container to store for up to 5 days or serve immediately.
I love that you can totally customize this Chex Puppy Chow recipe to satisfy just about any craving. I especially love this Birthday Cake Muddy Buddy recipe for special occasions and celebrations.
You can also whip up a Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddy batch for a sweet twist without peanut butter.
How to Store Puppy Chow
Store this totally addicting treat, if you don’t eat the whole batch in one sitting, by transferring to an airtight container and keeping at room temperature. They will last for up to 5 days.
Alternatively, freeze Puppy Chow in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature and then enjoy within 3 days. Do not refreeze.
Want something a little more savory? Try this FAB Slow Cooker Party Mix.
No-Bake Back to School Snacks
- Granola Bars – ready in 10 minutes!
- Chocolate Macaroons – aka haystacks
- Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies – perfect combo of sweet & salty!
- White Chocolate S’Mores Bars – made with only 5 ingredients!
- Oatmeal Cookies – chewy & chocolatey treat
Easy Puppy Chow
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 cups rice chex cereal
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter, chocolate chips, butter, vanilla and salt in the microwave at high power for 30 seconds. Stir and heat in increments of 20 seconds stirring in between each until smooth.
- Place the cereal in a large bowl and pour melted chocolate over. Stir to coat.
- Add the powdered sugar to the cereal mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread the cereal on a baking sheet in an even layer and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
- Serve in a large bowl or transfer to an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature.