I love Rice Krispie treats… not only are they easy to make with just a few ingredients but they don’t require turning on the oven which is always a plus in my books!
These Turtle Rice Krispie Treats are extra amazing topped with a delicious gooey caramel topping, pecans and finally drizzled with a thick chocolate ganache. There’s just something so right about chocolate and caramel together … whether it’s in a Caramel Chocolate Poke Cake or Homemade Caramel Cups and now on top of soft chewy Rice Krispie Squares! I’m not a huge sweets person… I usually pick savory but THESE treats definitely make me pick sweets.
The secret to extra delicious, soft and chewy squares is adding in way more marshmallow than called for in the traditional box recipe… and then adding in even more. When I make Rice Krispie squares calling for a 9×13 pan, I always form them about 3″ shorter than using a whole pan (so I make mine closer to 9″x10″) because I prefer a thicker square. The great thing about Rice Krispie squares is you can really make them any size you want since you don’t have to worry about baking times. You’ll want to line your pan with parchment paper or well greased foil to make these easy to remove and cut.
The caramel on these Turtle Rice Krispie Treats is quick and easy using Caramel Bits but you can certainly use regular unwrapped caramels (you’ll need 5.5 oz) or even an easy homemade Caramel. Combining heavy cream with chocolate is how a traditional chocolate ganache is made, this one is a little bit thicker. The great thing about using a ganache as a topping is that is doesn’t crumble off like it would if you used straight chocolate.
Items You’ll Need To Make Turtle Rice Krispie Treats
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
TURTLE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- 1/4 cup butter
- 7 cups mini Marshmallows divided
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/3 cups pecans divided
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5.5 oz caramel bits or 5.5 oz caramels unwrapped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Melt butter and 6 cups of mini marshmallows over medium low heat until smooth.
- Stir in Rice Krispies, 1/3 cup pecans and 1 cup of marshmallows (unmelted). Press into a well greased 9×13 pan (or slightly smaller if you prefer a thicker Rice Krispie).
- Melt caramel bits and 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (stirring every 30 seconds) until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup heavy cream and chocolate chips. Microwave at 50% power for 90 seconds (stirring every 30 seconds) until smooth.
- Drizzle 1/2 of the caramel and 1/2 of the chocolate over the Krispies. Top with pecans. Drizzle remaining caramel and chocolate. Cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve
More Recipes You’ll Love