Chicken Gnocchi Soup has juicy bits of chicken, plump tender gnocchi, and a handful of veggies simmered in savory herbs and spices for the perfect bowl.
This quick and creamy soup is filled with flavor. Serve with some crusty bread for dipping and an Italian salad for the perfect meal!
Simple, Savory Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup is hearty and so easy to make.
- Start with raw chicken breasts, no need for pre-cooked chicken.
- This stovetop Gnocchi soup needs just one pot and is ready in about an hour.
- This Olive Garden copycat is jam packed with flavor and you can easily make it at home anytime!
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi are little Italian dumplings. They look like small pillows with that distinctive ridge pressed into one side with the back of a fork or a gnocchi board. We make gnocchi with potatoes, but sometimes they can be made from seasoned semolina flour, sweet potatoes, ricotta, or other ingredients.
You can buy gnocchi at almost any grocery store in the pasta section or you can order it online.
CHICKEN Use either homemade chicken stock or to make it easy, use broth from a carton. In this recipe, chicken breasts are cooked right in the broth. This makes for an easy one pot meal and the chicken flavors the broth.
GNOCCHI Gnocchi can be purchased premade in the pasta section or the deli section of the market. If you don’t have gnocchi, you can substitute a medium pasta shape.
VEGETABLES With onion, garlic, celery, and carrot, plus fresh spinach add both color and flavor!
- You can add extra veggies if you’d like, fresh or frozen peas, green beans, diced zucchini, or red bell pepper.
- Switch out the chicken for Italian sausage or meatballs. Adding bacon bits to the original recipe will give it a smoky flavor.
- We know it wouldn’t be the same classic recipe but to lower carbs and calories, omit the gnocchi and substitute with cauliflower, and the light cream for milk.
How to Make Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Sauté onion & garlic in oil until softened per the recipe below.
- Add broth and simmer chicken and veggies until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken while simmering gnocchi in the soup.
- Stir in cream, shredded chicken, & spinach.
To Thicken the Soup:
Make a slurry (equal parts corn starch and water) and stir it into the soup a little bit at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
Another option for thickening this soup is to stir in a few potato flakes.
In the Instant Pot
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrot, & celery in oil until softened. Add broth, chicken, Italian seasonings, & bay leaf. Set to soup setting & cook for 10 minutes.
- Quick-release the Instant Pot, remove chicken & shred.
- Set back to sauté & add gnocchi, cream, shredded chicken, & spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes, add slurry.
- Cook another 5 minutes, add salt & pepper & serve.
In the CrockPot
Heavy cream is better in the slow cooker so if making this in the crock pot, swap out the light cream for heavy cream.
- Place all ingredients in the Crockpot except the cream and gnocchi. Cover, & cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add gnocchi and cream in the last hour of cook time.
- Shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup. Discard bay leaf.
- Add the slurry & stir until soup is thickened (optional). Season with salt & pepper before serving.
- Keep leftover chicken gnocchi soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze chicken soup by placing it into zippered bags and label the outside with the date on it. It will keep about 2 months. The gnocchi will be softer once they’ve been thawed, but feel free to add fresh ones when reheating.
- Reheat on the stovetop until heated through, refresh flavors with salt & pepper.
So Many Soups!
- Easy Cauliflower Soup– rich & creamy
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup – made from scratch
- Potato Broccoli Soup – with simple ingredients
- Sausage Tortellini Soup – a 30-minute meal
- Lasagna Soup – a delicious one-pot recipe
- Italian Sausage Soup – so hearty & flavorful
Did your family love this Chicken Gnocchi Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts boneless , skinless
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces gnocchi uncooked
- 2 cups light cream or half and half
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add broth, chicken breasts, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning, & bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred (or chop). Set aside.
- Bring broth back to a simmer and add gnocchi. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, shredded chicken and spinach. Simmer 3-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Stir into the simmering broth a little at a time to reach desired consistency. You may not use all of the cornstarch.
- Discard bay leaf. Taste, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)