Caramel Coconut Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix & ingredients required on the box
- 1 can coconut milk not low fat
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
Caramel Sauce & Caramel Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Dulce de Leche Store bought
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut see note below
- Prepare cupcakes according to directions on the box except replace the water with the same amount of coconut milk. Instead of using the mix to create 24 cupcakes, I made only 20.
- Put the stove on to medium and combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup. (note: make sure you use a pot that will allow the mixture to bubble up when you add the milk) Cook over medium high without stirring until the mixture reaches a dark amber color. Add 1/3 cup coconut milk and vanilla while stirring with a whisk. Allow to cool.
- With a mixer on high, combine butter & cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in 2/3 cup of the caramel syrup. Add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency. Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes before using.
- Heat coconut milk just until bubbles form around the edges. Pour hot coconut milk over chocolate and stir until melted. (It’s ok to do this a little ahead of time, it doesn’t solidify quickly)
- Using a spoon or a cupcake corer creates a cavity in the cupcake. Fill each cupcake with the dulce de leche.
- Dip each cupcake in the chocolate mixture and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Allow ganache to cool.
- Pipe frosting on top. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and drizzle remaining caramel syrup on top.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
This is not a quick recipe but it is easy and is it sooooo worth every single second! I have to say, these are literally the BEST cupcakes I’ve ever eaten! Ever… and I’ve eaten a lot of cupcakes.
The frosting is outstanding… as in.. you could eat it by the spoonful. Definitely my favorite frosting EVER!
When creating the cavity to fill these cupcakes, I like to use a cupcake corer because it’s easy and it’s perfect every time!!
I have seen so many recipes for Samoa Cupcakes! This recipe was slightly inspired by Taste & Tell, with some changes and additions and some of my own recipes (like caramel frosting!!) added in!