Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes are one of our favorite summer side dishes! Ripe juicy garden tomatoes topped with a delicious garlicky parmesan crust and baked just until hot. These are great served alongside a steak!
Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes are a delicious side dish for your next meal. Not only do they taste amazing, this recipe is super easy to make, I know you’ll love making them as much as you will love eating them!
Tomatoes are one of the most versatile and delicious vegetables (or fruit I guess, but I always think of them as a veggie). I love to use them in my recipes as much as I can. We often think of tomatoes as an addition to a side dish, like adding tomatoes to a salad, that we overlook them as a true side dish all on their own. They are perfect served cold in a tomato and cucumber salad or even in this delicious cooked side dish!
The tomato is definitely the star for this side dish, so much so it may even outshine your main course! I love to serve this with steak, however it would be wonderful with chicken as well. This recipe is so incredibly easy to make! Simply cut the tomatoes in half, combine the rest of the ingredients, top the tomato and bake. So quick and easy and if you line your baking sheet with parchment or foil, the cleanup is minimal as well!
I always use freshly prepared bread crumbs in this recipe, they are easy to make. I place a slice of bread (or a hamburger bun or whatever breads you happen to have on the counter) in the magic bullet for a about 2-3 seconds to get perfect fluffy bread crumbs. While it’s blending, I pick up the magic bullet and give it a shake to make sure all of the big pieces get crumbled. This also works on pulse on a blender or food processor.
You can use dry bread crumbs (or Panko) but the topping will be much flatter and a bit crunchier. Parmesan, garlic and herbs of your choice (I love dill, parsley and/or oregano) bring together flavors that complement the tomato and are usually ingredients we have in our pantry or garden. So convenient, tasty and effortless!
You can use your favorite variety of tomato for this recipe. Roma tomatoes or even cherry tomatoes will work, however if you choose cherry tomatoes reduce your bake time or even just place under the broiler for 5 minutes. In whichever case, you do not want to over bake any oven roasted tomatoes as they will become mushy. If you are grilling these tomatoes are the perfect side dish to accompany a steak dinner and leftovers heat perfectly for lunch!
Sometimes it’s hard to think of new and exciting meal ideas (or sides) for your family, believe me I know! If you are stumped as to what to serve with your main course tonight, you’ll love these Parmesan Oven Roasted Tomatoes!
Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes
- 3 large ripe tomatoes halved
- 1 slice bread or ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs (parsley, basil and oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil & dill)
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a blender, food processor or Magic Bullet, process the bread into fresh breadcrumbs. (This took about 1 second in my Magic Bullet).
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Toss until well mixed.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a shallow baking dish, season with salt & pepper. Top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Be sure not to over bake so the tomatoes don’t become mushy.