Without a doubt, this simple recipe for red cabbage slaw will be the star of the side dish party!
The secret is in the fresh and tangy dressing, and it’s so easy to whip up! All it takes is an apple, a couple of carrots, and a half-head of red (or purple) cabbage! It’s the perfect crunchy summer salad!
Tangy Cabbage Slaw
Everyone loves this recipe! It’s got all the colors and flavors of a side-dish, but can easily be a topper too!
It only takes minutes to prepare, making it a great option for an impromptu BBQ with friends or family!
Ingredients & Variations
The nice thing about slaw sides is that there are so many different ways to prepare them.
SLAW Red cabbage, shredded carrots, and julienned apple are combined to make this yummy slaw! Add in jicama or your other favorite crisp veggies.
DRESSING Orange juice, vegetable oil, cider vinegar, sugar, and dijon mustard are mixed together to create this tangy, creamy dressing.
VARIATIONS Why not switch out the nuts for slivered almonds or chopped peanuts? Try adding cucumbers or radishes fresh from the garden!
How to Make Red Cabbage Slaw
This tasty cabbage salad is ready in 1,2,3!
- Whisk together dressing ingredients (per recipe below) in a bowl and store, covered, in the refrigerator while prepping the remaining ingredients.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except for nuts) in a large bowl and toss with the chilled dressing. Chill for another hour.
- Top with pecans and serve immediately.
PRO TIP: Dry-saute nuts until they are just browned. This preserves their crunch and adds to their flavor!
How to Store Red Cabbage Slaw
- Keep red cabbage slaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- To serve it again, let it drain from a colander and maybe add some extra apples and salt and pepper to enhance the flavor again.
Our Favorite Slaw Recipes
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe – always a hit
- Easy Asian Slaw
- Dill Pickle Coleslaw – a crowd favorite
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw
- Cilantro Jicama Slaw – fresh & crisp
- Creamy Apple Slaw Recipe
- Cabbage Salad
- Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
Did you make this Red Cabbage Slaw? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Red Cabbage Slaw
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage about 1/2 head
- 2 carrots shredded or julienned
- 1 small apple julienned
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Shred the cabbage as finely as possible.
- Combine all ingredients except the pecans in a bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Top with pecans and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)