This is an amazing recipe for Slow Cooker pulled pork! The best part is you just pop it into the slow cooker and let it cook all day… and then dinner is ready when you are!! I literally can pull the pork using a spoon it’s so tender!
I do love that this recipe doesn’t use a traditional sweet store bought barbecue sauce. The homemade sauce has so much flavor and is really easy to make! If you’re not familiar with chili sauce, you have to try it. (It isn’t spicy at all). I use it in most recipes calling for barbecue sauce and mix the two 50/50 for an incredibly zesty flavor. It’s also the best meatloaf topping you’ll ever have (mixed 50/50 with ketchup)!
The slaw is best if it’s made a couple of hours ahead of time! Once this is ready, the pork can be left in the slow cooker on low making it the perfect party food! This is always a huge hit with the whole family or an easy dish on game day!
Items You’ll Need for This Recipe:
SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK SANDWICHES WITH ZESTY SLAW
- 4 lb . boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 onion chopped
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce like Heinz
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise/dressing I use Helmann’s light
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt or regular yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 6-8 ROLLS
- Mix together onion, cider vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce (like Heinz), brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and pepper
- Cut pork in half and sear in a pan on all sides
- Place pork in the slow cooker and pour sauce over top
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours or until fork tender
- Remove pork from slow cooker, discard any large pieces of fat
- Shred using two forks
- Return to crock pot and heat through
- Stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Pour over cabbage and toss gently.
- Place slaw on rolls and pile high with pulled pork
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)