We love a traditional broccoli salad for any potluck or bbq, it’s easy to make ahead and everyone loves it.
In this broccoli apple salad version, we’ve changed it up with the addition of crunchy, colorful veggies, fruit, and nuts. It’s all tossed in a 4 ingredient light and tangy dressing!
Broccoli Apple Salad
- Easy and inexpensive ingredients and very little prep! Two steps? Yes, please!
- Sweet, savory, tangy, crisp, and fruity, this salad is full of flavor.
- Broccoli apple salad can be used as a side, in a veggie wrap or tucked into a pita pocket for an energizing mid-day lunch.
What’s in Broccoli Apple Salad?
BROCCOLI: Broccoli is the star here! Choose florets that are dry, bright green, and odorless. To save time, purchase pre-shredded carrots or shred them on a cheese grater.
- Grapes: Purple grapes give this salad a shot of color and some sweetness but green grapes work just as well. Slice the grapes in half before adding to the salad.
- Apples: Green apples will make the salad a little more tart and the red and yellow apples are softer and sweeter.
EXTRAS: Crisp bacon bits or chopped bacon are great. (I often make bacon in the air fryer while I prep the other ingredients)!
DRESSING: The dressing is super easy and tangy delicious (and great on coleslaw too).
PRO TIP: For extra crunchy sunflower seeds, sauté them briefly in a dry pan until they are barely fragrant. This makes them extra crunchy and intensifies their flavor.
Variations to Try
This is the fun part! Use half broccoli and half cauliflower, add small cubes of cheddar cheese, switch out the raisins for dried cranberries, replace the carrots with a bag of coleslaw, add some small pieces of torn kale.
To make this into a bigger salad (especially for a crowd), double the dressing and add pasta to turn it into a broccoli pasta salad.
How to Make Broccoli Apple Salad
Toss these ingredients together for this creamy salad:
- Prep ingredients. Toss in a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together, toss with the salad.
- Top with more bacon bits, cover, & refrigerate (As per recipe below).
What to Serve With Broccoli Apple Salad
Served as a hearty side salad, broccoli Apple salad pairs perfectly with so many entrèes! Try Easy Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Pork Chops, or Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak. Don’t forget to add some Fluffy Dinner Rolls or homemade Focaccia bread!
This recipe gets better as all the ingredients have a chance to blend. Make it, chill it, and serve it!
Best of all, it keeps for a few days too!
Our Fave Flavorful Salads
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – perfect summer salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – with goat cheese
- Cobb Salad – loaded with fresh veggies
- Easy Arugula Salad – a light lunch or side dish
- Farmers Market Salad – colorful & filling
Did you make this Broccoli Apple Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Broccoli Apple Salad
- 1 head broccoli
- ½ cup purple grapes sliced in half
- 1 large apple any variety, diced
- ⅓ cup carrots shredded or julienned
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup bacon bits divided
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Set aside 1 tablespoon bacon bits for garnish.
- Toss all salad ingredients & remaining bacon in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, add to salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Garnish with reserved bacon bits and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!