Did you know that making healthy Turkey Lettuce Wraps at home is so easy?
Lean ground turkey in a savory sauce with hoisin and sesame is really flavorful. This makes for a great appetizer or main dish and my family can’t get enough.
Tasty Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- These are fun to eat with lots of toppings (kind of like a taco bar).
- Add extra chopped veggies like bok choy, finely chopped mushrooms, or even celery and carrots to stretch the meal and make it even more budget friendly.
- Wrap up these tasty ingredients into a crunchy lettuce wrap, for a lower carb fave (we lettuce wrap everything from burgers to burritos!
- These tasty wraps are ready in 20 minutes, making them the perfect option any day of the week!
Ingredients for Turkey Lettuce Wraps
TURKEY: Ground turkey makes for quick cooking and is low in fat and calories. Ground chicken or pork will work too.
VEGGIES: Crunchy water chestnuts and colorful bits of diced red bell peppers add flavor. Feel free to sub in your own veggies chopped mushrooms, onions, or grated carrots for color.
Water chestnuts add a crunch that is hard to duplicate. They can be bought with the other Asian ingredients at the grocery store or online here. They’re also great in chicken salads or a stir fry recipe.
LETTUCE: Iceberg and Bibb lettuce is best for scooping and keeping in all the yummy ingredients, but any sturdy lettuce will do. Romaine is a great choice in a pinch because the leaves are long and sturdy.
How to Make Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Prepare sauce ingredients (per the recipe below) & set aside.
- Brown turkey with garlic. Add water chestnuts & diced peppers.
- Add sauce & simmer until everything is heated through.
Once it’s all cooked up, scoop it into lettuce leaves & top with your favorite toppings.
Toppings to Serve with Lettuce Wraps
- Fresh: Cucumbers, bean sprouts, sliced bell peppers
- Flavorful: Cilantro, chopped green onion, chopped peanuts or cashews,
- Crisp: Shredded carrots, chow mein noodles, coleslaw mix or cabbage
- Spicy: Minced jalapeno, sriracha, sambal oelek
How to Store
Store the filling separate from the lettuce leaves in a covered container for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop. For lettuce leaves, layer them between sheets of paper towels to absorb moisture and store them in a paper or plastic bag in the refrigerator.
More Take-Out Favorites
- Sticky Honey Chicken – sweet & spicy
- Kung Pao Shrimp – 30-minute meal
- Beef and Broccoli – quick & easy dish
- Easy Homemade Chow Mein – a family favorite
- Lemon Chicken – only 3 simple steps
Did you make these Turkey Lettuce Wraps? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Quick Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can water chestnuts diced (8 ounces)
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 head lettuce iceberg or bibb lettuce (washed)
- toppings as desired see notes
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sriracha or to taste
- Whisk sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan, cook ground turkey, ginger, and garlic until no pink remains.
- Stir in water chestnuts and red pepper. Cook until pepper is tender. Add sauce and simmer until thickened and heated through.
- Serve warm, spooned into lettuce cups with your favorite toppings.
julienned cucumbers, shredded carrots, cilantro, crushed peanuts, crunchy chow mein noodles
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.