Homemade Lentil Soup is a hearty, budget-friendly meal that practically cooks itself. Lentils and spices are simmered in a flavorful broth with carrots, celery, onions and tomatoes for a beautiful healthy soup recipe.
This recipe can be made ahead of time and reheats and freezes well.
What is Lentil Soup?
Lentils are tiny disc-shaped legumes that are purchased in dried form. Typically grocers stock brown version, but you can find other varieties and colors too (any will work in this recipe). They may seem like pebbles when dried, they soften fast with no presoaking required.
Lentils are also very filling, thanks to their abundant healthy fiber and this soup is not only delicious but very healthy!
How to Make Lentil Soup
Lentil soup is as easy as 1, 2, 3, especially since you don’t have to presoak the lentils.
- In a soup pot, sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (per recipe below).
- Simmer until lentils are soft, but still, hold their shape (don’t overcook or you’ll lose the broth and your soup will turn into a thick mush).
Lentil soup will accommodate lots of variations. Instead of curry spices, you could try an Italian blend of basil, oregano and bay leaf. Any of your favorite vegetables will work too: green beans, peppers, corn or peas all work well here.
This versatile soup makes an excellent vehicle to use up or stretch leftover meat from the night before. Diced ham, chicken breast, or beef can be tossed in the pot with the rest of the ingredients.
Meat: Add 1 lb of lean ground beef or bone-in chicken to this recipe as it simmers.
Potatoes: Add a couple of cubed potatoes, sweet potatoes or even leftover roasted potatoes to this soup as it simmers.
Seasonings: Not a fan of curry? Leave out the curry and cumin and replace it with Italian seasoning.
Veggies: Much like a vegetable soup, anything goes here! Leftovers, favorites… add them all into the pot!
- To store, cool and refrigerate. Lentil soup will keep for up to four days.
- To freeze, transfer to freezer containers, leaving an inch of headspace for expansion. The soup will keep for up to four months. No need to thaw before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Delicious Belly-Warming Soups
Creamy Filling Soups – Creamy Potato Soup and Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup are my go-to comfort soup. Made with hearty and filling ingredients this soup is a family favorite. Just like this Ham and Corn Chowder which is ready in under 30 mins!
Hearty Meaty Soups – Taco Soup and Beef Barley Soup are incredibly easy & delicious options for a meatier soup! Filled with hearty options, this soup is perfect for cold weather, warming you up from the inside out!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice, or diced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Add remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour adding more broth if needed.
Discard bay leaf and add cilantro to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)