Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets taste light and fresh! Tender crisp veggies, succulent shrimp all served on a bed of rice for a complete meal ready in minutes (with almost no clean up); this is truly the perfect summer meal! When the temperature rises, easy meal prep and even easier clean up is my kind of meal!
I love cook foil packets in the summer (and I’m kind of addicted to Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets)! Not only does foil make the cleanup a snap, but you can prepare your meal in advance and for some reason everything just tastes better in packets. Mornings are my favorite time to prepare my meals for the day because as the day draws on, the heat creeps up and I literally don’t want to move when it gets so hot!
These Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets use wholesome, fresh ingredients which are light and delicious any time! While this recipe calls for peppers and snap peas, baby corn and mushrooms would be awesome too (and fresh bean sprouts when serving for a cool crisp crunch). I used pineapple for sweetness but again, this recipe is so versatile that mango chunks would be equally delicious. Don’t be afraid to try out your own favorite fruit and veggie combination!
If you cook anything like I do, you’re always wondering what to do with left over rice in your fridge! There are many great options such as My Favorite Fried Rice recipe or Broccoli Rice Casserole From Scratch. Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets are no exception because leftover rice can definitely be enjoyed in this recipe. Since these shrimp foil packets cook for just minutes, the rice is never mushy – just heated to perfection!
If you prefer, you can always prepare this dish without the rice in the packets and simply cook fresh rice to serve on the side. Another tasty option is to serve this with noodles instead of rice. If you would like to add an extra serving of veggies, try serving this recipe along with Cauliflower Rice in place of regular rice or noodles.
Tips for Perfect Shrimp in Foil Packets
- Cut your foil 12″x18″ or larger. This gives you enough foil to completely seal the packet.
- Spray the foil well with no stick spray (or use no-stick foil) as the sweet sauce can stick to the foil.
- Start the cooking with the shrimp side down.
- When cooking the rice IN the packets, I’ve had the best results with packaged pre-cooked rice found here. If using homemade rice, ensure it is cold (and slightly undercooked by about 1 minute) so it doesn’t get mushy or cook and serve the rice on the side.
- Choose a thicker teriyaki sauce (or a teriyaki baste) for the the best results.
- Add fresh ginger and/or garlic to the tossed veggies for extra flavor.
When choosing your teriyaki sauce, be sure to choose one that is very thick. Many sauces are almost as thin as soy sauce and this will not give you the outcome you want! Also be sure to allow the foil packets to rest for about 5 minutes after you remove from the grill. Not only will they be slightly cooler when you cut into them, but the rice will have had time to absorb some of the delicious juices!
I topped each opened packet with sesame seeds and green onion for garnish. Another great idea is to add fresh bean sprouts or crispy wonton strips to your packets immediately after opening. This will add a delicious crunch to the already perfectly tender crisp veggies and succulent shrimp!
Add Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets to your summer menu and you will not be disappointed! I am even planning on taking these on my next camping trip! What a surprising and delicious change from hot dogs and burgers (I still love those too, so I will need to make room in my cooler to fit it all!).
TERIYAKI SHRIMP FOIL PACKETS
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks drained
- 2 cups ready to serve rice or cold cooked
- 2 large red bell peppers cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 1/2 cups teriyaki sauce divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (425 degrees F). Prepare 4 sheets (12 x 18 inch) of heavy-duty foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, red and green peppers, sugar snap peas, garlic, ginger and 1 cup teriyaki sauce. Toss to coat evenly.
- On each foil sheet divide evenly (in order) rice, vegetable mixture and shrimp.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and finally drizzle with the remaining 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce.
- Seal each foil packet well and place on hot grill shrimp side down.
- Cook 5 minutes, flip over and cook rice side down for an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving. Carefully fold back foil and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce if desired.