Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets contain a complete dinner in one tidy little packet!
Fresh summer zucchini, zesty tomato sauce and tender chicken breasts are grilled until perfectly cooked and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. This is going to become your favorite summer meal!
Chicken Parmesan Foil Packets are a super easy summer meal! You are going to love how simple both the preparation and the clean up are… and to top it off they are absolutely delicious!
Not only are these quick to make, you can prepare them well in advance and they cook in about 20 minutes! This makes them the perfect meal to whip up on a hot day or even while you’re camping! Layers of zucchini (or your favorite grilled veggies), tomato sauce and chicken are seasoned and grilled and finally topped with mozzarella cheese just before serving!
Picture this….it has been a long day. The last thing you feel like doing is making a meal! You remember that you have prepared Chicken Parmesan Packets the night before and they are waiting in your refrigerator! Bless! Pop them on the grill or in the oven, prepare your favorite pasta and you have a complete meal ready in minutes!
Tips for Chicken Foil Packets
- Be sure to spray your foil well (or use non-stick foil) so your food doesn’t stick.
- Be sure to seal the packets well to avoid any juices escaping.
- These can be baked 30 minutes at 375 degrees (or until your chicken reaches 165 degrees and is cooked through).
- These packets can easily be modified depending what you have on hand. Here are a couple of my favorite ideas:
- This recipe calls for Italian Seasoning and garlic powder, however use what seasonings you love or have in your pantry. Some ideas are garlic, basil, oregano and parsley. Use fresh herbs if you have them, fresh herbs only make things better!
- If you do not have zucchini use broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus or summer squash instead!
While this would still be great paired with the tomato sauce, you could also use your favorite alfredo sauce. If you choose alfredo sauce, simply cook the chicken, mushrooms, and asparagus in the packet first, and sauce with a heated alfredo sauce once you plate it. You may be asking, “why not add alfredo sauce to the packet?” I fear the creamy sauce may burn in the packet!
While I most often serve these on a bed of pasta, these chicken foil packet dinners are so good, you really don’t need to serve them on pasta at all! Prep a nice fresh side salad and a thick slice of crusty bread to sop up all of that delicious sauce and you’re good to go! Are you looking for a gluten free option? You can use gluten free pasta or skip the pasta all together!
If you’re watching calories and fat, this is still a perfect option, add in some extra veggies and then use low fat mozzarella and parmesan cheese. The taste and texture will still be the same you will virtually never notice the difference.
My absolute favorite thing about this recipe is there is no clean up! It is such a breeze to tossing the foil leaving more time to spend with your friends and family or just to take a few extra minutes to yourself! You definitely deserve it!
If you are looking for something that is tasty, healthy and quick for your dinner tonight, these Chicken Parmesan Foil Packets fit the bill perfectly! The perfect fuss free BBQ idea or even a delicious gourmet idea to take along on your next camping trip. So versatile, super easy and totally delicious it will definitely be top of mind for your summer meal planning.
Chicken Parmesan Foil Packets
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Spray four 12x18 inch foil pieces with cooking spray.
- Divide zucchini over the four pieces of foil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and italian seasoning to taste and 2T parmesan cheese.
- Add 1/3 cup pasta sauce on top of the zucchini. Place a chicken breast on top of the sauce.
- Drizzle each chicken breast with olive oil then sprinkle with garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Seal each packet. Place on heated grill with the chicken side down. Grill for 8 minutes.
- Flip each packet and continue to grill for another 8-10 minutes or until juice run clear and chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Open each packet by slicing with a knife. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast and heat to melt. (see note)
- If desired, cook pasta according to package directions and heat remaining sauce.
- Remove the chicken and zucchini from each packet and place on top of the pasta. Pour any extra sauce from the packet on top as well.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and garnish with fresh parsley.