Juicy, plump shrimp smothered in a creamy garlic sauce. It tastes luxurious, it’s indulgent and it is complete and utter bliss that’s so fast and easy, you can make it tonight and have this Creamy Garlic Shrimp on the table in just 15 minutes!
Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins because it’s so fast to make and nowadays, really great quality pre-peeled frozen shrimp is sold even at supermarkets. While seafood is always better when cooked fresh, the sheer convenience of pre-peeled frozen shrimp is hard to beat for busy weeknights.
And it’s also pretty hard to beat the combination of CREAM + GARLIC + SHRIMP as an outright crowd pleaser! That sauce…..that sauce is just INCREDIBLE. The brown bits in the skillet from looking the shrimp get mixed into the cream and it’s like the best stock base ever. EVER!
This recipe is pretty straight forward. The one little thing I do that is a bit different to most recipes is to add the garlic when the shrimp is partly cooked. The reason for this is that if you add the garlic first, it becomes burnt by the time the garlic is cooked. Little burnt bitter bits of garlic is not pleasant, plus it doesn’t look good in a creamy white sauce. So by adding it later, you get all the flavour and it doesn’t burn. :-)
The one other little tip I have is adding parmesan cheese. It adds an extra element of flavour – umami – into the sauce that takes it from “yum” to “sooooo goooood”!!!! It’s important to use freshly grated parmesan rather than store bought because it’s finer and therefore will melt in the sauce. It’s the same for Alfredo and any other creamy sauces that have parmesan cheese added into them – store bought parmesan won’t dissolve completely so you end up with gritty bits in the sauce instead of it being silky smooth.
I like to serve this Creamy Garlic Shrimp over pasta or mashed potato. In the photo below, I mixed through chopped scallions into the potato, just for little pops of freshness. A quick side salad of leafy greens, few slices of lemon, and dinner is served!
Creamy Garlic Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound peeled shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped or minced
- ½ cup dry white wine or sub with chicken stock/broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a skillet over high heat.
- When it starts foaming, add prawns. Cook until they start to change from translucent to white. Add garlic, stir for 20 seconds – by now the prawns should be white (but still raw inside).
- Add wine – it will steam and bubble rapidly. Cook for 30 seconds or until you can no longer smell the alcohol and half evaporated.
- Add cream, parmesan, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 1 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley and lemon wedges on the side if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you love Creamy Sauces, you’ll go nuts over this Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta!
This Creamy Shrimp Pasta Salad makes a great side or lunch dish.