Pimento Cheese is the best Southern style spread! Sharp cheddar, cream cheese, pimentos and seasonings make for a dip or spread that’s crazy good. I could seriously eat this stuff with a spoon!
It’s also versatile, you can use it as an appetizer served with pretzels, bagel chips or veggies, anything that will convey this yummy stuff from plate to mouth! Pimento cheese is also great as spread for sandwiches or grilled cheese sandwiches, either by itself or, as a mayo alternative!
What is Pimento Cheese?
Pimento Cheese is one of those old fashioned Southern favorites that over time has become a staple. In the South it’s sometimes known as “Carolina Caviar” or “Southern Pate.” But no matter what you call it, everyone loves it because of its distinctive and cheesy flavor!
This is an easy combination of mayonnaise (Duke’s is best), sharp cheddar cheese and of course pimentos.
So, What are Pimentos? These little red bits are what you find in olives and add great flavor to dips, dressings and casseroles. They’re made from small sweet peppers called “Cherry Peppers” (more about pimentos here).
How to Make Pimento Cheese
Making pimento cheese is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Which is great, considering how fast we seem to go through it.
- Shred sharp cheddar cheese by hand or in a processor.
- Combine all the ingredients except for the shredded cheese and pimentos. Mix thoroughly until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the shredded cheese and pimentos last to make this spread super chunky and delicious! Pretty easy, right?
To Serve Pimento Cheese
Spread onto your favorite crackers, enjoy in a sandwich, or set out as a dip with veggies, pretzels, or bagel chips!
- Try it with simple celery dipping sticks or other veggies
- Perfect for veggie platters or with an array of chips and dips!
- Roll it up in tortillas with chopped cucumber and slice into fancy sandwiches!
- LOVE to dip pretzels in this stuff!
- Spread it on burgers, wraps or sandwiches
Can You Freeze It?
Cream cheese has a tendency to separate and become grainy/liquid when frozen, so freezing is not recommended. Pimento Cheese should keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Add in some sundried tomatoes or finely chopped chives.
- Experiment with different cheeses.
- Diced jalapeños give this spread a spicy kick.
- Add it to your favorite deviled eggs to create a pimento cheese deviled egg recipe!
Delicious Party Dips
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – crowd pleaser
- 5 Minute Taco Dip – ready in 5 mins!
- Tzatziki Sauce – easy yogurt cucumber dip
- Rotel Dip – easy, cheesy, and versatile
- Easy Spinach Dip – perfect party mixture
- 2 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, extra sharp
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces pimentos drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Combine mayonnaise, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Fold in pimentos and cheddar cheese.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)