Gingerbread Cookies are made with real molasses, real butter and flavored with just the right touch of ginger. They are guaranteed to please any palate, young or old! Keep several batches in the freezer for a last-minute cookie decorating party along with some easy sugar cookies! ‘Tis the season for gingerbread men!
This gingerbread cookie recipe is the best way to spend time baking in the kitchen with family and friends during the holidays. They come out moist and soft (but still sturdy enough to decorate with the kids)!
Who doesn’t have fond memories of gathering around the kitchen table with all sorts of colored icings, licorice whips, sprinkles, dragees and whatever else was on hand to build your own gingerbread man cookie?! What better way to keep creating those memories than by baking these wonderful soft gingerbread cookies!
How to Make Gingerbread Cookies
This recipe is so easy, you’ll think you took shortcuts in the kitchen this holiday season! A really good gingerbread man recipe starts with quality ingredients.
Use real butter and dark molasses for a deep, dark brown colored cookie which will contrast nicely with white decorator icing if you decide to outline the cookies. Properly beating the shortening and butter will ensure a creamy foundation for the rest of the ingredients.
Tips for Gingerbread Cookies
- Half butter and half shortening create a softer, chewier cookie that can still hold up to considerable decorating!
- Room temperature egg and butter will make it easier to get a fluffy result before the rest of the ingredients are added.
- Add just enough flour to hold everything together and make the dough pliable.
Chilling the dough is critical for ease of handling during the rolling and cutting process. This also keeps them from spreading too much as they bake in the oven. Roll out to about ¼” thick and be sure to dust your surface with a sprinkle of flour so they don’t stick.
How to Decorate Gingerbread Cookies
Next to the ever-popular sugar cookie, these are the best gingerbread cookies to decorate and it is so fun! There will never be shortage of a variety of different sized gingerbread men cookie cutters.
They can be found in nearly every store! Gingerbread man cookies love to be decorated with both white icing as well as colorful icing and small dragees or sprinkles. So, grab the kids, apron up and get creative!
Why not have a decorate-your-own party and create a gingerbread man or woman in your likeness? Or, your family members or coworkers?
More Easy Cookie Recipes for the Holiday Season
- Easy Buckeye Recipe – no bake!
- Mexican Wedding Cookies – love Snowballs!
- Funfetti Cookies – kids love these too
- 4 Ingredient Red Velvet Cookies – an elegant cookie
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – classic for Christmas!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Beat butter and shortening until mixed. Add sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon and continue to beat on medium until combined and fluffy. Add molasses, vanilla, egg, and vinegar and beat until well mixed.
- Add flour a little at a time until combined. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Roll dough to 1/4″ thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters into desired shapes.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool 2 minutes on the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
More Great Christmas Cookies
Recipe Slightly Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens