This Easy Lemon Bars Recipe is a refreshing, sweet, and slightly tart treat made up of a lemony custard filling on top of a buttery shortbread crust.
This easy dessert is quick to make and every absolutely loves them!
Easy Lemon Bars
Never in a million years did I think I’d say that I
like love Lemon Bars… but I do!!!
I’ve always liked lemonade and lemon chicken but lemon desserts and pastries were never hard for me to pass up. However, a few years ago I finally gave lemon a second chance and was pleasantly surprised to find how deliciously fantastic it is in things like cheesecake, cupcakes, and these bars.
The Buttery Crust
What makes these so good? First, that crumbly buttery shortbread crust. And please don’t substitute the butter with margarine or shortening. Butter is best and makes everything 983x better.
And the FRESH lemon… Second, to make this lemon bar recipe, you need the best lemon custard! When baked, it forms a crust on top with the soft sweet and tangy filling underneath. Fresh lemon juice is a must! And to top it all off, they’re sprinkled with powdered sugar… LOTS of powdered sugar.
How Much Juice is in One Lemon
Like most fruit, lemons can range in size but on average each lemon will give you give about 3 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Each lemon will provide about 1 tablespoon of lemon zest using a microplane grater.
My only warning, besides being irresistible and ruining your diet, is to not make these for your birthday, or at least just don’t put birthday candles on them. Trust me! I know from experience. We were celebrating a friend’s birthday and Lemon Bars were his cake of choice. The candles were stuck down into the bars and lit, we sang “Happy Birthday”, waited as he paused to make a wish… then inhale, exhale… BOOM! The powdered sugar rose into a dust cloud that quickly caught fire and slightly singed his eyebrows. It was quite shocking, scary, and hilarious all at the same time. Oh, the life lessons we learn.
If you’re looking for a bright and cheery dessert for your upcoming spring or summer party, make these sweet and tangy refreshing Lemon Bars!
More Lemon Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Lemon Chicken Soup
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Lemon Rice Krispie Treats
- Soft Lemon Cookies
Classic Lemon Bars
For the Crust:
- 10 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ⅓ cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x9 inch pan.
- Mix the flour, powdered sugar, and salt together. Cut the butter into the mix until crumbly and then press into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Meanwhile, make the filling.
For the Filling:
- Whisk all the filling ingredients together until combined.
- Pour over the cooked crust and place back in the oven for 17-20 minutes until filling is set.
- Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)