These delicious caramel cups are not only totally decadent, they’re actually easy to make!
Don’t let the thought of homemade caramel scare you! It’s actually super easy and the method below doesn’t require a candy thermometer or any special equipment or strange ingredients!
There are two easy ways you can prepare these cups… you can start with a mold for peanut butter cups or you can use muffin liners (either regular or mini). If you choose to use muffin liners or candy liners be sure to choose the foil ones.
The cups do pop out of the molds a little easier than the cups. If using the cups you want to ensure that the initial chocolate layer has no holes or gaps because if the caramel leaks out, it will stick to the liner. If you do have any trouble removing the cups from the foil liners, you can dip the bottom into a bowl of hot water for less than 1 second and they will slide right out.. but note that this will only work with foil liners.
To make these extra delicious, it is worth the extra splurge for a very high quality chocolate… the better the chocolate, the better the end result! You can use dark or milk for these, I personally love milk chocolate but find that dark is best in this recipe!
Items You’ll Need For This Recipe
Chocolate Caramel Cups
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup (Karo)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream , separated
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- milk or dark chocolate
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup & water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Allow mixture to boil until the liquid reaches an amber color (approx. 15 minutes… but keep a close eye on it starting at about 10 minutes).
- Once the mixture has reached a nice amber color, remove from heat. While stirring, slowly pour in 1/3 cup cream. Stir in vanilla, butter and salt. Let cool about 15-20 minutes. Stir in remaining cream and cool to room temperature.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler (or on low in the microwave) until smooth.
- Pour a little bit of chocolate into each of your wells (either your molds or your foil baking/candy cups). Smooth it up the sides and across the bottom making sure you have a thick uniform layer.
- Refrigerate 5 minutes to set. Remove from the fridge and if using a mold, hold it up to the light to check for thin spots.
- Fill almost to the top of the chocolate with the caramel. Refrigerate about 5 minutes.
- Top with more chocolate and tap the molds gently on the counter to smooth. Let set in the fridge 20 minutes.