This recipe ensures that breakfast is ready with all the right flavors to get everyone’s day started off right!
This crock pot breakfast casserole combines hash browns, sausage or ham, and lots of cheese with an egg mixture. It all “bakes” to perfection in the slow cooker. Making a CrockPot breakfast casserole recipe has never been easier!
CrockPot breakfast casserole goes from the slow cooker to the table in a matter of hours! Set the Crock Pot at night and get some rest, or whip it up in the morning!
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- HASH BROWNS: Shredded or diced hash browns work in this recipe. If you prefer more ‘potato’ in your casserole, you can certainly use diced hash brown potatoes or homestyle potatoes.
- MEAT: I most often use sausage or ham. Bacon (or really any breakfast meat) will work perfectly in this recipe!
- CHEESE & EGGS: I love the flavor sharp cheddar adds but any cheese works. Use whole eggs or even low-fat egg substitutes.
- TOPPINGS: Feel free to add salsa or Tabasco, and once you’re ready to serve, a nice dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions!
How To Make Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Cook sausage or bacon if using, or dice ham per the recipe below.
- If desired, soften the onion in bacon fat or a bit of oil.
- Layer hashbrowns, meat, peppers, onions, and cheese in a slow cooker.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and seasonings and pour over the hashbrown mixture.
- Cover and cook per the recipe below.
How Long to Cook a Breakfast Casserole
This slow cooker breakfast casserole recipe will take about 7-8 hours on LOW and 3-4 hours on HIGH in a 6QT slow cooker. If you’re working with a smaller slow cooker or doubling the recipe, the cooking time may need to be adjusted slightly to compensate.
Can You Freeze CrockPot Breakfast Casserole?
Like all casseroles, the best way to freeze them is to make sure they are fully cooled before they’re put in the freezer. Once it is fully baked, chill it overnight and then the next day, remove and either slice it into portions and freeze it individually or freeze it in sections in a plastic bag. Just reheat it in the microwave! Easy to make and easy to clean up!
CrockPot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes 32 ounces
- 1 pound bacon, sausage, or ham cooked & cumbled or diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, about 8 oz
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 small finely diced white onion about ½ cup
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- If using bacon or sausage, cook and crumble. Drain fat leaving 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- If desired, soften the onion in the fat. This is optional but will soften the flavor of the onion.
- Grease a 6qt slow cooker. Place half the hash browns, meat, onions, peppers, and cheese in the slow cooker. Repeat layers ending with cheese, do not stir.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and seasonings in a medium bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Once cooked, uncover and let the casserole rest for 15 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!