Whether it’s served hot or cold, this creamy dreamy whipped coffee is an easy and decadent treat!
A quick Dalgona coffee beverage looks like a whole lot of fancy but needs just a little bit of effort, this is a true treat. It is a style of Korean coffee that is great at any time of day!
What is Whipped Coffee (Dalgona)?
I have a 16-year-old so I know all about the recent whipped coffee craze to take over YouTube and then TikTok. According to Wikipedia, this drink was first made popular in Korea on a tv show and has been going crazy all over social media since!
Whipped coffee is called dalgona coffee because it resembles dalgona which is a spongy candy (a little bit like honeycomb) that is popular in Korea. While the candy is not in this coffee, the topping looks similar!
Just 3 Ingredients
The ingredients in whipped coffee are equal portions of instant coffee, sugar, and hot water. It’s all whipped until creamy, then scooped onto milk.
Why not try flavored coffee crystals or instant espresso? You can even make this with decaf instant coffee!
It adds a bit of sweetness to this topping. Sweeteners will work in this recipe as well.
Ensure the water is very hot, almost boiling.
How to Make Whipped Coffee
A super easy coffee beverage will be in hand in just 3 steps!
- Dissolve equal parts of instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a mixing bowl. Beat until thick and creamy.
- Pour heated (or chilled) milk into mugs or glasses.
- Top with whipped coffee and serve.
Optional: Garnish with powdered cocoa, coarse sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon, or cardamom.
Serving and Variations
This recipe is great for milk alternatives as well. The thicker the milk, the longer the whipped coffee foam will float on the top!
This can be served hot or cold and or even as a coffee whipped cream over dessert (chocolate cake anyone?).
We love adding flavored syrups to the milk (regular or sugar-free)! Try adding vanilla, caramel, coconut, or mocha syrup to the milk.
It is such a fun, quick little afternoon pick-me-up, and it’s so elegant when it’s served in a clear glass so you can see the foamy coffee rest delicately on top of the milk.
Tips to Remember
Using the exact measurements are important for a good, heavy foam for the first step.
If the coffee foam doesn’t look like it is peaking properly, keep at it! Sometimes using a small tabletop blender like a Ninja or Magic Bullet works better for smaller amounts of Dalgona coffee.
Don’t forget this super thick whipped coffee foam can be dropped in dollops on parchment paper and frozen. Then when the urge for Dalgona coffee strikes, just pop one onto hot or cold milk!
Best Coffee Inspired Beverages
- Spiked Eggnog Latte – 4 simple ingredients
- White Russian Cocktail – sweet & creamy
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – so easy to make
- Affogato Recipe – rich & decadent dessert
- Irish Coffee – perfect after-dinner drink
Did you enjoy your Dalgona Coffee? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 6 ounces milk for serving
- Combine instant coffee, sugar and water in a medium bowl.
- Whisk on high with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat milk on the stove or over the microwave if desired (this can be served over cold milk too). Top with whipped coffee and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)