With simple ingredients and seasonings, Hamburger Potato Casserole is a delicious easy-prep meal (the ground beef doesn’t even have to be browned first)!
This easy recipe layers potatoes and onions with uncooked rice and ground beef for a delicious meal. Season it with your favorite herbs or even add in cheese if you like!
Hearty Casserole with Simple Ingredients
Who doesn’t love an easy-prep meal that comes together in one dish?
This recipe uses simple ingredients layered in a casserole dish and baked until tender. The perfect combination of comfort foods!
Hamburger Potato Casserole uses simple ingredients and can be substituted with other pantry staples!
MEAT Ground beef is used in this recipe, but Italian sausage is another great choice.
VEGGIES Onion, tomatoes & potatoes really bring this dish together, but you could also use shredded cabbage, sliced carrots, zucchini, or frozen mixed veggies! Keep the potatoes in with all the variations since it creates the thick bottom layer and soaks up the broth!
RICE Uncooked white rice is added to this casserole, but feel free to use any rice on hand.
ADDITIONS Fresh or dried herbs can really jazz this casserole up. Top with your favorite shredded cheeses, sour cream, or salsa!
How to Make Hamburger Potato Casserole
Making this dish is so easy, and the results are delicious.
- Prepare a casserole dish and toss potato slices with salt and pepper.
- Layer ingredients (per recipe below) including uncooked beef and uncooked rice. Be sure to season each layer with salt, pepper and spices to taste.
- Pour sauce ingredients over the top and bake for two hours.
Tips to Make the Perfect Hamburger Casserole!
- Season each layer with salt & pepper to bring flavor to every bite
- Add spice blends like Italian seasoning, cajun or taco seasoning to switch up the taste
- Use uncooked beef as the juices from the beef seep into the potatoes adding flavor. I use a lean beef (80/20).
- Be sure to cover the dish so the steam can help cook the rice and potatoes.
- For a milder onion flavor, fry the onions with a bit of butter first (or use caramelized onions).
- Add cheese in the layers or on top for the last 30 minutes if desired.
- If stored in the fridge, hamburger potato casserole will keep for about 4 days.
More Ground Beef Casseroles
- Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole – quick prep
- Easy Tater Tot Hotdish – kid favorite
- Frito Pie – Tex-Mex flavors
- Stuffed Peppers – classic recipe
- Easy Homemade Lasagna – make ahead meal
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole – low carb
Did you love this Hamburger Potato Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Hamburger Potato Casserole
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 10.5 oz condensed beef broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- salt & pepper to taste *see note
- dried herbs to taste *see note
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x13 pan. Season each layer with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of potatoes in the pan. Top with garlic powder and a layer of onions.
- Place uncooked ground beef over the potatoes. Sprinkle rice over top.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Pour diced tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, condensed broth and water over top.
- Cover and bake for 2 hours or until potatoes are tender.