Frito Pie is a crowd pleasing favorite, great for game day and a family meal everyone will agree on! A simple base (similar to a chili recipe) with ground beef, seasonings and beans is topped with heaps of cheese and… you guessed it.. FRITOS!!
Add your favorite taco toppings like tomatoes, sour cream and jalapenos!
What is Frito Pie?
Frito pie is not really a pie, it’s a kind of a taco casserole (like Dorito casserole)!
Also known as frito taco pie, this easy dish can be made at home with a few simple ingredients; beef, beans, tomatoes, corn, an ample supply of cheese, and of course, Fritos!
For a super fun grab-and-go treat, use fritos from single serving bags and after the casserole is finished, scoop a serving back into the bag and hand off to a hungry eater! No mess and no dishes!
How to Make Frito Pie
- Brown beef and add taco seasoning, tomato sauce and corn & beans.
- Add a layer of fritos to a casserole dish and sprinkle cheese.
- Top with the meat mixture and more cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy… and don’t forget the toppings!
My Favorite Frito Pie Toppings
So many great things can go on top of this frito pie casserole! I like to have small bowls of toppings for everyone to pick their own! Here are some suggestions:
- Sauces: salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, guacamole
- Veggies etc: Sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, green chiles, lime wedges
- Extra Crunch: Tortillas for wrapping
More Chili Inspired Favorites
- The Best Chili Recipe – everyone’s favorite
- Quick Hot Dog Chili – so much yum
- Green Chili Recipe – great for a crowd
- Texas Chili – a classic no bean favorite!
- Easy White Chicken Chili – healthy and delicious
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 package taco seasoning & water as indicated on package
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with chilies or salsa
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 15 ounces kidney beans drained
- 1 cup corn drained
- 1 bag Fritos® corn chips about 5 ½ cups
- 2 cups mexican cheese blend shredded, 8 ounces
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9"x13" casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef and onions, drain fat. Stir in taco seasoning, chili powder, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn & beans. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of Frito chips to the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Spread beef mixture over top and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with remaining chips and desired toppings.