These Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches are perfect for tailgating season! With just a few simple ingredients tossed into the slow cooker, delicious slow cooked beef sandwiches are easy to make and serve for any game day gathering!
Tailgating season is one of our favorite times of the year. The weather has cooled down a little bit, and we get to enjoy party favorites – like sausage queso, sriracha shrimp, game day chili and of course Italian Beef!
This post is sponsored by Mirum, all opinions expressed are my own.
‘Tis the season for tailgating, friends and family! A favorite time of year for me filled with appetizers and all of my favorite snacks! This slow cooker Italian beef is a go-to with tender pulled beef and peppers. Simply pop it all in the slow cooker and let it cook while you enjoy the game! It’s great to prep ahead and transports well to parties!
I was surprised when I discovered in the Kelton/Perrigo Company plc, “Prevent the Summer Burn” Survey from March 2018 shows that 74% of people are willing to make significant sacrifices to be heartburn-free and one in three would even give up watching playoff sports this season to avoid heartburn! If you’re a frequent heartburn sufferer, being proactive and taking Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (also referred to as ODT) helps keep heartburn at bay.
Always talk to your doctor or a licensed professional before taking a new medication.
ODT can provide affordable relief to those of us that suffer from heartburn two or more days/week, and you can grab it at Walmart (or other retailers) while you’re grabbing your groceries! Find Omeprazole ODT at a retailer near you. If you’re like me, it’s not always easy to remember to take medication on time. Having tablets that can easily dissolve on the tongue means I can keep a stash in my purse and discreetly take them any time and any place (without water). Perfect for someone like me who is on the go all of the time!
Relief can come in as little as 24 hours but it can take up to 1-4 days for full effect (it is not for immediate relief). They’re so convenient, simply place the strawberry-flavored tablet on your tongue and let it dissolve (they’re the same small size shown on the box). Being able to take heartburn medication easily and discreetly makes tailgating more enjoyable (and heartburn free)… allowing me to indulge in my favorites!
Use Omeprazole ODT as directed for 14 days to treat frequent heartburn. Do not take it for more than 14 days or more frequently than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor.
Beef for Italian Beef Sandwiches
A typical Italian beef sandwich is made with sirloin however it wouldn’t hold up well in the slow cooker. I’ve opted for chuck roast as it’s tender and flavorful. A rump roast works well too!
The beef is seared on both sides to add flavor to the recipe and then it slow cooks until buttery and fork tender and is shredded (similar to pulled pork).
Seasonings: This recipe uses a packet of Italian dressing mix for a bit of zest and tang. The peppers I use are sliced pepperoncinis, if you can’t find sliced, whole will work too. They add a delicious, salty, briny flavor and just a hint of heat but don’t make this sandwich too spicy.
How to Make Italian Beef
- PREP: Brown the roast and add it to the slow cooker with Italian seasonings, broth and pepperoncini peppers.
- COOK: Cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 9-10 hours until the beef is fork tender.
- SHRED: Using forks, shred the beef and return it to the juices. Stir to combine and let it warm for at least 20 minutes.
To Serve Crock Pot Italian Beef, stack it high on hoagie rolls or Italian rolls and top with with giardiniera (Italian pickled veggies) or more pickled peppers if you’d like to add a little bit of heat. Roasted Sweet green peppers are perfect on this too!
We also put out little slider rolls for parties or of course for game day since we have lots of other great foods on the table.
Don’t skip the juices!
It is important to make sure you get lots of the juices into the sandwich… maybe messy but definitely delicious (and essential to this recipe)! In fact, in Chicago they often dip the whole sandwich right into the au jus before serving it to you!
If you’d like to add cheese, provolone is a great choice!
More Delicious Italian Beef Sandwich Toppings
Pickled veggies compliment this beef perfectly. We love adding refrigerator pickles and pickled jalapenos!
Other delicious additions include:
- Cheese – Provolone is great! Also try: mozzarella, monterey jack, or gouda.
- Bread – Italian rolls are hearty and hold up to the juices well. Hoagie rolls are nice and soft and easily available. And of course, slider buns are great if serving as an appetizer.
- Veggies – Pickled veggies are traditional but crisp lettuce, tomatoes and red onions are great too
- Other additions – Pickles, olives, Italian dressing, pickled jalapenos
What To Make With Italian Beef
Because this beef is so fall-apart tender and so flavorful, it’s great on sandwiches with minimal additions! If you’re looking to make a roast beef dinner, Italian beef is delicious next to some mashed potatoes and a fresh Italian salad!
Storing The Leftovers
Slow cooker Italian beef will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Make sure it’s completely cooled before you seal it. Leftovers will last in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge, microwave, or oven!
If you have any leftover meat, try making enchiladas or tacos with it. A breakfast hash is also a delicious way to use leftover Italian beef!
More Crock Pot Beef Recipes
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff – weeknight favorite
- Easy Crock Pot Chili Recipe – hearty and delicious
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak – so easy
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes– another tailgate favorite
- CrockPot Beef Stew – a classic
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 4 lbs chuck roast or rump roast
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 packet Italian dressing mix 0.7 oz
- 16 oz sliced pepperoncini peppers with juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 hoagie rolls or 24 slider rolls
- spicy giardiniera or pickled vegetables for serving
Place onion in the bottom of a 6 qt slow cooker.
- Brown roast and place on top of onions. Sprinkle with Italian dressing and seasoning.
- Add broth and pepperoncini peppers with 1/2 cup of the juices.
Cook on high 5-6 hours or on low 9-10 hours until beef is very tender.
Shred beef using forks and return to the juices. Allow to cook an additional 20 minutes.
Serve over rolls and top with pickled vegetables or peppers.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)