Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff is a comforting family favorite meal. Tender stewing beef, onions and mushrooms simmer a perfectly seasoned broth until melt in your mouth tender! Just before serving, a scoop of sour cream is added in for the perfect creamy sauce.
How great is a recipe that you can ‘set it and forget it’ before going off to work? This crock pot beef stroganoff recipe is not only a winner for dinner but makes for great leftovers the next day at work…if there are any!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff in a Crock Pot
This savory slow cooker meal may take hours to simmer, but it can be made in just 3 simple steps!
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown stewing beef with salt and pepper (this adds flavor).
- Deglaze the pan with red wine and add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot to simmer.
- Cook until the beef is melt in your mouth tender.
Just before serving, stir in the sour cream and egg noodles and top with a sprinkle of parsley.
Beef for Stroganoff
When making classic beef stroganoff, I use a tender cut of beef and cook it quickly so it doesn’t overcook.
For slow cooker beef stroganoff use stewing meat (or chuck roast if you have it), the meat will become very tender as it cooks low and slow. If you use a lean cut of beef, it will dry out and become tough.
You can use ground beef in this recipe to create a ground beef stroganoff. Replace the stewing beef with 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. Brown the ground beef and drain any fat, add to the slow cooker and proceed as written.
How Long to Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Crock Pot
Depending on your time frame, you can cook this dish on low all day in the crock pot while you’re at work. Or you can speed things by setting your crock pot to high, depends on you! Cooking either way develops so much flavor with tender meat!
- Cook on Low: 7 to 8 hours before the meat is tender.
- Cook on High: 4 to 5 hours to get the same tender meat effect.
I make this recipe with sour cream which is traditional however, you can also make crock pot beef stroganoff with cream cheese. It is a little creamier than regular sour cream and only requires just a tad more stirring!
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff
Since beef stroganoff is so rich and filling, it stands alone as a complete meal. But a tossed salad dressed with a tangy lemon vinaigrette and a side of garlic bread definitely can feed a crowd! Perfect for a potluck at work or the holidays!
More Easy Beef Favorites:
- CrockPot Beef Stew – my all time favorite!
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – Stovetop classic
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak – Reader favorite!
- The Best Meatloaf Recipe – Perfectly delicious
- Easy Swiss Steak – So tender.
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon olive oil more if needed
- 2 lbs stewing beef trimmed
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 pound mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups beef broth divided
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 oz egg noodles cooked
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil in small batches. Deglaze pan with red wine and add to slow cooker.
- Place beef, garlic powder, onions, dijon, Worcestershire, mushrooms and 1 1/2 cups broth in a 6qt slow cooker.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Combine remaining broth with cornstarch and stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook and additional 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in sour cream. Serve over egg noodles.