This yummy noodle dish is a quick and convenient spin on the original. Utilizing ground beef and canned items, this dish can be ready to eat in well under half an hour!
Easy Mushroom Beef Stroganoff
- 1/2 to 1 pound of lean ground beef (use more or less to make it as meaty as desired, 1/2 lb is usually a great ratio)
- 2 12-16 oz bags of medium-width egg noodles
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms , drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's Healthy Request version works great and is better for you than the regular cream soup!)
- 1 10.5 oz can beef consommé (an equal amount of beef broth plus one beef bouillon cube can be substituted)
- 1 12 oz container sour cream
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, cover, leave it to boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, crumble the beef into a large saucepan, add chopped onion and garlic powder. Sauté on medium-high until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. If the beef lets off more than 3 tablespoons of fat, drain it carefully. A little bit of fat will help the dish, while too much will make it greasy.
- Add the mushrooms, consommé, salt, and pepper to the beef & onion mixture. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- When the water is boiling, add the noodles and cook until they are soft but not soggy. Drain carefully, leaving the noodles in the large pot.
- Add the ground beef & mushroom mixture, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. Mix gently until everything is combined. Let it sit, covered, for about 5 minutes before serving, giving all the flavors some time to blend.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
This dish is best served on a plate, since the flavors really develop as it cools. Taste before seasoning, then sprinkle sparingly with salt and pepper as desired. If you’d like, you can add a small squeeze of lemon juice to liven up the flavors. Terrific the next day, if there are any leftovers! :)