Easy and oh so yummy, this mushroom stroganoff recipe is a short-cut meal that is practically effortless!
A perfect one-pot creamy sauce served over noodles is the best end to a busy day at work or school. Made with ground beef and cream of mushroom soup, this dish is full of savory flavors and ready in 30 mins!
Why We Love This Recipe
Mushroom Stroganoff is an easy recipe made with pantry staples, no special trip to the grocery store required!
This budget-friendly meal is really easy to prep and is on the table in about 30 minutes.
Of course, we love that this meal tastes great and is so easy to make!
Ingredients & Variations
MUSHROOMS Any variety of mushrooms will do, it depends on how fancy you want the end result to be.
- Pricier mushrooms like enoki, shiitake, porcinis, and chanterelles make for an excellent presentation.
- Regular white button or ‘baby bellas’ that are more economical can be used as well.
- Portobellos are large and meaty so slice them thinly.
You could even replace half the mushrooms with diced bell peppers or onions.
GROUND BEEF We love this recipe with ground beef, but it can easily be substituted for ground turkey, chicken, or pork. Just use whatever you have on hand.
NOODLES We add cooked egg noodles into this recipe, it’s the perfect time to use up those leftovers! You can replace the egg noodles with any pasta you have on hand. Try adding macaroni, rotini, or penne.
SAUCE For an extra creamy sauce we use both sour cream and cream of mushroom soup mixed with beef broth.
In a pinch, you can replace the sour cream with heavy cream, the soup with any “cream of” soup you have on hand, and even the beef broth with a vegetable or chicken broth.
No “cream of” soup? No problem! You can make your own, or replace it with a half-and-half combination of heavy whipping cream and chicken stock and a dash of salt.
How to Make Mushroom Stroganoff
Cooking this meal is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Saute beef with onion and garlic.
- Simmer with remaining ingredients (per recipe below), except sour cream and noodles.
- Gently stir in sour cream and serve over cooked pasta, simmering until heated through.
Serve with a slice of garlic bread to soak up every last drop!
Tips for the Best Creamy Stroganoff
For the best creamy sauce, gently simmer to thicken. If it gets too thick, slowly whisk in more broth or cream until it reaches your desired consistency.
To avoid the noodles over-cooking, pre-cook just until al dente. They will finish cooking when mixed into the creamy sauce.
If you will be eating this as leftovers, keep the noodles separate so they don’t get soggy in the fridge.
This recipe can easily be frozen. For best results when freezing, leave the noodles out and add to your dish as serving. This will prevent then from getting mushy when reheating!
To reheat, just heat up on the stovetop or microwave and add a little water to loosen it up! Refresh flavors with salt and pepper and add your cooked noodles.
More Stroganoff Favorites
- Ground Beef Stroganoff – homemade
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – a family favorite
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff – with tender beef chunks
- Beef Stroganoff Soup – rich and beefy
- Chicken Stroganoff – a creamy twist on a classic
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole – oven baked
Did you enjoy this Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, or 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups large egg noodles measured dry and cooked al dente
- Add beef to a 12" skillet saucepan with chopped onion and garlic powder. Cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. Drain fat.
- Add the mushrooms, broth, and salt & pepper to taste, simmer 10 minutes. Add mushroom soup and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in sour cream and cooked pasta. Cook on low just until heated through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.