Creamy Cucumber Pasta Salad takes my favorite summer cucumber salad and turns it into a delicious meal. Loaded with tender pasta, crisp juicy cucumbers, fresh dill and sweet white onion, this dish will be the hit of every potluck!
The recipe combines two of my favorite summer side dishes. Creamy Cucumber Salad meets pasta salad in this amazing side for a perfectly refreshing new summer staple! I love a good pasta salad, not only are they easy to make but they can usually be prepared well ahead of time making them the perfect potluck dish!
Fresh crisp cucumbers in a simple and creamy sauce loaded with dill from the garden is tossed with your favorite pasta. The dressing in this salad doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, but that’s really the beauty of this recipe!
If you have access to fresh dill, it really makes a huge difference in this salad. For a great twist you can also add in a handful of chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes or a squeeze of lemon juice.
While it’s not required, soaking the onions in cold water for a few minutes takes just a little bit of bite out of them. When purchasing white onion for this recipe, you’ll want to be sure you’re getting the white onion with a white papery skin (not the yellow papery skin). The white onions are much milder and sweeter and won’t overpower the other ingredients in this recipe.
If possible try to toss this at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Creamy Cucumber Pasta Salad
- 1 long english cucumber
- ½ pound medium sized pasta such as penne or rotini
- ½ sweet white onion
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Thinly slice onion and place in a bowl of cold water. (see note)
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Run under cold water to stop cooking.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and remove seeds using a spoon. Slice into thin slices.
- Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Let sit at least 40 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)