Country Style Ribs are perfect for when the weather doesn’t allow for outdoor grilling! I almost always bake ribs in the oven and these are no exception. With lots of flavor from a homemade rub these are covered in barbecue sauce for the perfect entree.
What are Country Style Ribs?
Baked to perfection, country-style ribs come from the shoulder portion of the pig (more info on types of ribs at pork.org). This makes them fattier, easier to prepare and cook, and more economical because they are all meat!
Thet make for great next-day work sandwiches! Just pop them into a hoagie roll with a little mustard or shredded lettuce or coleslaw and you are good to go!
How Long to Bake Them
Once the country style ribs are prepped and sauced, cover with foil and bake about 90 minutes, or until tender and easy to cut. The low slow temperature allows the fats and connective tissues to break down, similar to how you’d cook a pork shoulder for pulled pork).
We then add sauce and let them cook a bit more to allow the sauce to caramelize and flavor the ribs.
Storing Extra BBQ Rub
If you have extra BBQ rub, store it in an airtight container or jar and keep it in the fridge. Feel free to use it on chicken, pork, mix it into a meatball recipe or even sprinkle on baked potatoes or boiled corn-on-the-cob! It goes with everything!
There are many pre-prepared BBQ sauces on the market; from sweet to savory to spicy. Don’t be afraid to use more than one sauce, or try a homemade barbecue sauce, if you are cooking for a crowd and want to offer different flavor profiles! The rub can stand alone as well!
What to Serve with Country Style Ribs
A hearty entrée deserves hearty side dishes! Potato or macaroni salad, baked potatoes, corn-on-the-cob and thick slices of garlic bread are perfect additions for country style ribs! A pitcher of lemonade and some homemade vanilla ice cream make this a dinner to remember!
Delicious Rib Recipes
- Barbecue Ribs in the Oven – perfectly tender every time
- Melt in Your Mouth BBQ Ribs! – 10 mins prep
- Instant Pot Ribs – ready in an hour!
- Crock Pot Ribs – just 5 simple ingredients
BBQ Country Style Ribs
- 4 pounds country style ribs
- 1 ½-2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250°F and place ribs on a rimmed baking sheet (I line with foil for easy cleanup).
- In a small bowl whisk together rib rub ingredients.
- Coat the ribs in the seasoning and cover tightly with foil. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the ribs just start to feel tender.
- Remove from the oven and liberally baste the ribs with bbq sauce. Cook for another 45 mins to 1 hour uncovered until fork tender.
- If desired, turn your oven onto the broil setting and let the bbq sauce on the ribs bubble and lightly brown.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!