Adorably cute birds nest cookies are so fun for Easter! And if you are a coconut fan, these little coconut nests are pure chewy goodness!
An Easy Easter Dessert
Even though this Easter birds nest cookies recipe is normally made for Easter, don’t forget, these little nests can be filled with red and green chocolate candies for Christmas or even black and orange jelly beans for Halloween!
Add some cocoa for a different version of chocolate bird egg nest cookies and fill with peanut butter candies or white chocolate chips! The options are endless, get creative!
How To Make Birds Nest Cookies
These festive little Swedish birds nest cookies only use 6 ingredients and are super fun to make with the kiddos!
- Combine flaked coconut (sweetened) with flour and add in sweetened condensed milk. The mixture is thick so you’ll need to mix well with your hands!
- Scoop the cookies into 1″ balls and thumb, press a ‘nest’ into the center of each piece. Wet hands work well for this recipe!
- Bake on parchment paper or a silpat mat (they’re sticky). Remove from the oven and allow to cool about a minute, press another indent in the middle if you need to (I use the back of a measuring spoon).
Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the candy-coated chocolate eggs. You don’t want them to melt!
To keep the chocolate eggs (or other candies) in the middle, you can add a dab of frosting or candy melts in the center before putting the candies in. Keep your coconut macaroon birds nest cookies in a single layer in an airtight container so they don’t dry out. They are best when they are moist and chewy!
Can You Freeze Coconut Macaroons?
You can definitely freeze birds nest cookies after they are baked, but leave out the candies and put them in after they are thawed out.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Bunny Butt Easter Cupcakes – great part of an Easter spread
- Classic Thumbprint Cookies – classic
- 4 Ingredient Red Velvet Cookies – seriously easy
- Jell-O Easter Eggs – kids love these!
- Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs – perfect for decorating!
- Coconut Sugar Cookie Cups – sweet treat!
Bird's Nest Cookies
- 90 candy coated chocolate eggs
- ⅔ cup flour
- 5 ½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, coconut and salt in a bowl.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Divide into 30 pieces. With wet hands, shape each piece into a 2" circle. With your thumb, create an indent in the middle.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute or so. While the cookies are still soft, press the indent in the middle again (and reshape the cookie slightly if needed). Cool completely on the pan.
- Place 3 chocolate eggs in each cookie.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!