Chocolate Macaroons (aka Haystacks) are quick no-bake cookies without peanut butter! They’re the perfect treat for your family or guests when you need something in a hurry.
Keep the ingredients for these chocolate coconut macaroons in your cupboard as your dessert emergency kit!
No Bake Cookies without Peanut Butter
While we’ve always called these cookies no-bake macaroons, but they go by other names too like Haystacks or even just chocolate coconut cookies.
While we do make no bake cookies, this recipe is a bit different since there is no need for peanut butter (or flour).
A Note on Oats
Oats are one of those grains that are labeled so many different ways in the grocery store that it’s easy to get confused. For this recipe, you’ll want rolled oats as they will retain their texture. Quick oats will also work for no-bake macaroons if that’s all you have in your cupboard!
How to Make No Bake Cookies without Peanut Butter
You’ll love how easy it is to make these no bake cookies (without peanut butter). We start by boiling the sugar mixture which is then mixed into a few simple ingredients that you likely have on hand! Simply scoop and chill.
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut and cocoa powder.
- Stir together sugar, butter and milk. Allow to come to a rolling boil for two minutes.
- If you cook too long, the cookies will be dry. If you cook too short, they won’t hold together.
- Mix with dry ingredients and drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Cool completely.
There are lots of great possibilities for variations here. You can make chocolate chip macaroons by adding a cup of chocolate chips on top before they set completely. Or, you could add a cup of chopped nuts, or raisins — or all three!
More No Bake Recipes
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pie (No Bake)
- No Bake Chips Ahoy! Icebox Cake (4 Ingredients)
- No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake
- Chocolate Cashew Clusters
- No Bake Cookies
Storing No Bake Cookies
How Long Do Coconut Macaroons Last? Coconut macaroons are pretty popular, so don’t expect them to stick around long! Keep them at room temperature in a sealed container for up to a week. (You can keep them longer but they tend to get dry and crumbly after a while).
Can You Freeze Coconut Macaroons? Coconut macaroons will retain their quality for up to four months in the freezer. To freeze, place the cookies in a freezer bag or container.
Chocolate Macaroons (No Bake Cookies without Peanut Butter)
- 2 ¾ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut & cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, margarine and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let boil for 2 minutes (no longer). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour oat mixture into the hot margarine mixture and stir until well mixed. Drop by spoonfuls onto a pan and let cool completely.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!