A nice moist Banana Bread is one of the most famous quick bread recipes out there. Overripe bananas are mixed with a handful of pantry ingredients you likely have on hand!
This recipe is easy to make and perfect for adding your favorites from chocolate chips to walnuts.
Homemade banana bread is a quick bread recipe and perfect as a snack or dessert.
Bananas for Baking Banana Bread
How Ripe Should Bananas be for Banana Bread? They are sweetest and ripest when they are nicely spotted (with lots of black/brown spots) and are very soft.
If you notice your bananas are soft and don’t have time to make bread, peel them and freeze them. They can stay frozen for months and you will always be ready to bake with.
To Ripen Bananas Quickly
Ready to bake banana bread or banana cake but your bananas are just barely yellow? No problem!
To ripen bananas in the oven:
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Place bananas on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes (the skins will turn black).
- Cool completely and proceed with the recipe as directed.
How to Make Banana Bread
This is a classic banana bread recipe. It’s very basic and produces a moist loaf but it does welcome add-ins.
- Combine dry ingredients together per the recipe below and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients together, stirring in bananas last.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined.
- Bake as directed.
Serve fresh out of the oven or heated slightly with butter for an easy and delicious snack!
Banana bread can be made with any of these add-ins.
TIP: Toss the additions with a bit of flour before adding to the batter. This will help keep them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
- Nuts (toasted walnuts or pecans)
- Chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- Toffee pieces
- Shredded carrots or zucchini
Tips for Moist Quick Breads
- Use the pan size called for in the recipe.
- Ensure your baking soda is fresh.
- Measure flour properly (by spooning the flour into the measuring cup, not scooping it with the measuring cup*)
- Mix just until moistened.
- Do not overbake. Ovens can vary, be sure to check your bread at least 10 minutes early.
- Remove from the pan to cool completely.
* Find more information on measuring flour here.
Quick bread is easy to store and will last about 5 days. Keep it wrapped in plastic wrap, foil, or in a sealed container at room temperature. It can be warmed for about 10 seconds in the microwave if desired.
To Freeze Banana Bread
Most quick bread can be frozen, just make sure they are sealed well.
Freeze in a zippered bag or an airtight container labeled with the date on it. Frozen banana bread should be good for about eight weeks. Thaw at room temp and serve!
Quick Breads You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Bread – perfectly spiced
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe – made with mayonnaise
- Chocolate Banana Bread – triple chocolate
- Lemon Blueberry Bread – great snack!
- Zucchini Bread – crazy moist!
- Pecan Coconut Banana Bread – lots of flavor
Moist Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups mashed bananas about 4 small
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment paper) an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- With a hand mixer on medium, combine butter and sugars in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)