Cheese stuffed chicken breasts in a creamy spinach sauce, this recipe is easy and so delicious!
Chicken breasts are filled with cheese, baked, and served in a simple creamed spinach sauce. While it’s really easy to make this meal seems elegant and is perfect served with rice or potatoes.
CHICKEN Boneless skinless breasts are butterflied. Butterflying means slicing in half lengthwise most of the way through (so they open like a book) and adding cheese in the middle.
CHEESE Fresh mozzarella and Parmesan pair well with creamed spinach. Any cheese will work, Gruyere or swiss are also great in this recipe.
SAUCE The sauce for this recipe is a simple cream sauce with a bit of garlic. The bits from the chicken add great flavor to this recipe!
SPINACH Fresh spinach has the best color and texture for this recipe. Frozen spinach can be used (you’ll just need a couple of ounces) and should be thawed and drained before adding.
- Add ham and swiss to the filling for a “Cordon Bleu” twist on this recipe.
- Fry up some sliced mushrooms, chopped broccoli, or asparagus before making the sauce.
- Chicken breasts can also be stuffed with diced, sautéed peppers or jalapenos, breaded with Panko and Parmesan, and baked until they are crispy on the outside.
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breast
Creamed spinach stuffed chicken breast is an easy but super fancy dinner.
- Fill each breast with cheese & season. Fold closed, sauté both sides to brown, then bake in the oven according to the recipe below.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the simple creamed spinach sauce below.
- Place baked chicken in the pan with sauce. Simmer, then garnish & serve.
What to Serve with Stuffed Chicken Breast?
Savory Stuffed Chicken
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breasts – a family favorite
- Everything Cream Cheese Chicken – a fun twist on everything bagels
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast – bacon wrapped
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast – tender & juicy
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts – ready in 40 minutes
Did you love these Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, about 7 ounces each
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese about 4 ounces total
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butterfly each chicken breast and fill it with two slices of mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold chicken breasts closed.
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken breasts until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place the skillet in the oven and bake the chicken for 18-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth while whisking until smooth. Whisk in heavy cream and continue to stir until bubbly and thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and parmesan cheese and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and add to the saucepan simmering them together for 2 minutes.
- Serve over rice or potatoes if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)