Cordon Bleu Casserole is a family favorite with tender pasta, ham, chicken in a creamy swiss cheese sauce!
It’s kind of an easy lazy chicken type casserole and it is both fast and easy to make! The best part about this dish is that the simple sauce is homemade from scratch and contains no canned soup!
No Canned Soups
This is an easy and very yummy casserole I put together one evening for a family meal! I was having a VERY hard time finding a casserole recipe that didn’t use “Cream of ___” soup in it… so I got creative and tweaked my favorite homemade cream sauce to have the flavors I was looking for!
The result? This amazing Cordon Bleu Casserole! You’ll want to make sure this easy casserole is a little bit extra ‘saucy’ before it goes into the oven as it thickens while it bakes and cools.
Cooking the pasta al dente (so it still has a bit of bite to it) will help keep your casserole from getting mushy. To achieve an al dente pasta, you’ll want to cook it to the lower end of what the package says (if the packages say 9-11 min, cook only 9 min). Don’t forget to salt your pasta water!!
Swiss cheese has a strong flavor (which I adore!) and it’s kind of required in this recipe since it’s a cordon blue casserole! My kids like it but I toned it down a bit by adding in a milder cheese along with the swiss. If you like a stronger swiss flavor, you can use all swiss in this recipe!
What Goes into a Cordon Bleu Casserole?
This Cordon Bleu Casserole starts with pasta and I like to use penne or another short shape that has curves or holes to scoop up the sauce! Other great options include shells or rotini.
Next is chicken, this is a great way to use up leftover chicken but you can also use rotisserie chicken or even poached shredded chicken. If you have a chicken breast on hand, poaching it is the perfect way to make shredded chicken to mix into this casserole! So easy and so good!!
You can buy an inexpensive ham steak to chop up for this recipe (or any kind of ham including leftover Crock Pot Ham).
Can this Cordon Bleu Casserole be Frozen?
I don’t suggest freezing casseroles that have a sauce with lots of dairy as dairy can take on a different texture once defrosted. If you want to freeze this recipe, I would suggest freezing just the casserole ingredients and making the sauce once you’re ready to bake it.
While this Cordon Bleu casserole cannot be frozen, it CAN be made ahead of time (up to 24 hours) so it’s perfect to put together on Sunday and enjoy Monday after work. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, they reheat really well (I often add a splash of milk or cream) for another meal throughout the week!
Did you love this Cordon Bleu Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese divided
- 2 cups cooked chicken (use rotisserie or chicken breasts)
- 4 ounces ham diced
- 12 ounces uncooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring. Remove from heat and pour in chicken broth and milk.
- Return to heat and stir while whisking until thick and bubbly. Add in sherry, dijon, Worcestershire, thyme, and pepper. Stir in swiss cheese.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Do not overcook. Combine pasta, chicken, ham, ½ cup of Monterey jack cheese, and sauce. Pour into a large casserole dish.
- Combine melted butter, Panko bread crumbs, and remaining ½ cup of cheese. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until hot and top is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole