Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a hearty and flavorful meal. This is an easy layered version of chicken enchiladas, has a creamy chicken mixture layered with tortillas & enchilada sauce. It’s all topped with cheese and then baked until browned and bubbly!
With this simple recipe, you can bring South of the Border right to your kitchen in no time at all!
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Easier than traditional chicken or ground beef enchiladas, this casserole requires no rolling, tortillas are cut into quarters and layered with the rest of the ingredients! Traditionally enchiladas use corn tortillas however you can make this chicken enchilada with flour tortillas too.
Swap out the shredded chicken for ground chicken or turkey (or even ground beef to make a Beef Enchilada Casserole).
To Make this Easy Casserole:
These creamy chicken enchiladas have chicken and peppers layered with enchilada sauce and tortillas.
- Make the filling.
- Layer chicken mixture, enchilada sauce and tortillas and top with cheese.
- Bake until the top is browned and bubbly.
Top with your favorite taco toppings!
What to Serve with a Chicken Enchilada Casserole
We love to keep it simple!
Can You Freeze Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
Definitely, most casserole recipes can be frozen. The key is to make sure they are fully cooled before wrapping tightly, labeling, and placing in the freezer.
To freeze without your casserole dish:
- Prior to baking, line your casserole dish with aluminum foil, and then bake accordingly.
- After the casserole is fully cooled, place in the freezer.
- Once it’s frozen, you can gently remove it from the pan and use the pan for another casserole! Muy Bueno, no?
More Chicken Casseroles
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – ready to eat in under an hour!
- Salsa Chicken Casserole – Easy to make.
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole – made with two different types of cheese
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole (from Scratch)
- Chicken Lasagna – Reader favorite.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup corn defrosted or drained
- 4 oz green chiles chopped
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 2.5 cups red enchilada sauce (20 oz)
- 6 10" tortillas corn or flour
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar or monterey jack cheese divided
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut 3 of the tortilla in half.
Heat oil In a medium pan, cook onion over medium in oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Add peppers, garlic, corn, cumin and chili powder. Cook until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in green chiles and chicken.
Place 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.
Layer 1 1/2 tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the chicken mixture 1/2 cup cheese and 1/3 of remaining enchilada sauce.
Add a second layer of tortillas, chicken and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until heated through and browned and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)