Mushroom Campanelle… if you are a fan of mushrooms and garlic, this is the pasta recipe for you! Fresh sautéed mushrooms are doused in a creamy white wine sauce and served atop campanelle pasta! It’s a new savory favorite for all the mushroom lovers out there!
Of course, this sauce can be served over any kind of pasta but I love the way campanelle hugs the sauce within its curls.
When it comes to pasta dishes sometimes the family just wants something a bit different that isn’t tomato based, like spaghetti carbonara. Well, I’m here to tell you that this recipe is also a complete home run in the taste department!
What is Campanelle?
Campanelle is a type of pasta that is cone shaped with ruffled edges (aka gigli). It literally means “little bells,” but to me, these delicious little pasta bites remind me more of a flower or even a bugle. Campanelle noodles are ideal for dishes with special sauces or unusual meats as the curl in this recipe holds the sauce for a perfect dish.
How To Make The Perfect Creamy Mushroom Sauce
A great ceamy mushroom sauce is actually quite easy to prepare. You can use any variety of mushrooms, I find brown/cremini are my favorite in this dish. Portobello mushrooms are delicious and flavorful but they can discolor the sauce making it look a bit murky.
If using dried mushrooms, rehydrate them in boiling water. Reserve the liquid, strain it through a coffee filter and let it simmer down. Adding this to the sauce adds such great flavor!
- Saute mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
- Add wine, reduce, add cream and simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and lemon zest.
While the sauce is bubbling away, cook pasta and toss with pasta sauce. Add more parmesan if desired and sprinkle with the parsley.
What To Serve With Mushroom Campanelle
There are so many delicious options when it comes to finding the perfect pairing for pasta dishes. Since this meal is meatless, it’s a great vegetarian option.
- Try it with baked chicken breast, rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
- Like all pasta dishes, a great loaf of french bread or rolls.
- A fresh and simple tossed salad or Italian salad.
Top it all off with a piece of easy tiramisu, and you’ll have a simple Italian inspired meal that’s fit for a king!
Creamy Pasta Dishes
- Chicken Mushroom Pasta – so easy to make!
- Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts – easy one-pot dish!
- Creamy Tomato Pasta Casserole – so quick
- Creamy Stovetop Mushroom Orzo – creamy & delicious!
- Linguine Carbonara – ready in under 30 mins!
- Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle – loaded with fresh mushrooms
- Homemade Chicken Spaghetti – easy cheesy casserole
Campanelle with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 12 ounces campanelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Havarti or mozzarella, shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped optional
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat and cook garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in wine (or broth) and cook until wine has almost evaporated. Add heavy cream and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions (do not rinse).
- Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella cheese, parmesan and lemon zest until smooth.
- Toss with pasta. Top with parsley and extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.