Chicken mushroom pasta is a one-pot wonder!
This easy one pot pasta is filled with tender pieces of chicken breast in a creamy mushroom sauce.
It’s an easy weeknight meal that goes from countertop to table in no time.
An Easy Weeknight Meal
- Easy ingredients like chicken, white mushrooms, pasta, and dairy mean this dish is ready in minutes!
- Make ahead! Chicken mushroom pasta can be enjoyed all week since it reheats well.
- This budget-friendly recipe allows for tossing in leftover veggies or sneaking in fresh veggies for those picky eaters!
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breasts can be replaced with chicken thighs. If using rotisserie chicken, add it towards the end of cooking so it doesn’t dry out.
Pasta – Choose medium-sized shapes so you get a little bit of everything in one bite. Small shells, penne, or rotini are excellent choices.
Sauce – Milk and cream give this sauce a creamy texture while broth adds flavor.
Variations – Broccoli florets, sliced zucchini or brussels sprouts, or chopped kale pair perfectly with mushrooms. Try chopped fresh spinach and some extra Italian seasoning to change it up.
How to Make Mushroom Chicken Pasta
- Season and cook the chicken chicken per the recipe below.
- Cook the onion, mushrooms, and garlic until softened. Stir in the milk, broth, pasta, and cornstarch and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the chicken and let it rest until thickened.
- Keep leftover mushroom chicken pasta in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- For a freezer-friendly version, make the sauce and chicken and freeze it, then defrost and add fresh pasta when ready to serve.
More Tasty Chicken Pasta Dishes
Did you try this Mushroom Chicken with Pasta recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and comment below!
Mushroom Chicken with Pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 12 oz medium pasta rotini or penne
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and season with the basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften. Stir in the milk, chicken broth, cream, pasta, and corn starch.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook covered for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until pasta is tender. Add water or additional broth as needed. Once pasta is tender, mix in cooked chicken.
- Remove the pasta from the heat and let rest uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.