This Tiramisu recipe is made with a classic creamy filling of tempered egg yolks, mascarpone and cream, coffee-soaked ladyfingers and topped with a dusting of cocoa and chocolate shavings.
It’s an Italian favorite that everyone will love!
A Classic Italian Dessert
Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert. It’s light, creamy, and flavored with coffee, Kahlua, and cocoa, which are three of my favorite things.
And because it’s a no bake dessert, enjoy this tiramisu recipe all summer long without heating up the house. Once you temper the eggs that’s it! But it’s just a few minutes and no oven required!
Most of the ingredients are things you probably have on hand (like eggs and cream) but there are a few unusual ingredients in this recipe.
So what are lady fingers? Lady fingers are a light and crispy cookie, great for trifles and of course this tiramisu recipe. (You can get them online here or at the grocery store). In this recipe they get nice and soft like an icebox cake.
If you can’t find ladyfingers, make them homemade (I used this ladyfinger recipe). If making your own, make them a few days in advance and let them get hard and slightly stale, or make one day in advance and leave on the counter without being covered.
This is an Italian type of cream cheese and can be found at most grocery stores. It has a higher fat content making it creamier than American cream cheese.
This is a coffee flavored liqueur, any coffee liqueur can be substituted. Other options can include rum, brandy or amaretto.
If you prefer, this can be made without alcohol (replace it with extra coffee or water).
How to Make Tiramisu
- Make custard filling: This has to cool to room temperature before you can start assembling so it’s a good idea to make it a couple of hours before you need it. I do like to stir in the mascarpone while it’s warm because it incorporates more easily and without lumps.
- Whip cream and fold it into custard filling carefully, once it has cooled. You don’t want to add it to hot custard!
- Layer: dunk ladyfingers in the coffee and Kahlua mixture, turning over a couple of times to coat all sides. Place in the pan, top with half the custard filling, and repeat layers one more time.
Make in Advance
Tiramisu is a great dessert to make in advance because it does require time to chill so the flavors come together and the ladyfingers soften.
Let chill for at least 6 hours or as long 2-3 days. Dust with unsweetened cocoa powder and top with chocolate shavings if desired just before serving.
More Easy No-Bake Desserts:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pie (No Bake) – rich and creamy
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake – just 6 simple ingredients!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake – ready in 30 mins!
- Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies– deliciously addictive
- Affogato Recipe – easy and elegant!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces mascarpone 225 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua liquor or brandy
- 18-20 ladyfinger cookies
- cocoa powder and chocolate shavings optional, for garnish
In a medium saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and milk together until combined. Place over medium heat, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened (don't rush, this can take 10-15 minutes).
Remove from the heat and stir in mascarpone and vanilla and let custard cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the cooled custard.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and Kahlua.
- Dip ladyfingers in coffee mixture, turning in the liquid 2 or 3 times. Place a single layer in the bottom of an 8x8" pan.
- Cover with half of the mascarpone custard, then repeat layers one more time.
- Cover and chill for at least 6 hours before serving. Dust with cocoa powder and top with chocolate shavings before serving as desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)