Roasted rutabagas, like turnips, are a delicious alternative to starchy root vegetables and have lots of flavor. You can roast them whole or, in this easy recipe, cut them into cubes and roast them with a little olive oil and seasonings!
This easy root vegetable side dish pairs perfectly with oven-baked chicken breasts or juicy stuffed pork tenderloin!
What is Rutabaga?
Rutabagas are also called swedes and they are a cross between a turnip and a cabbage, even the leaves are edible!
This veggie is often confused with a turnip but they’re usually bigger and have a yellow-ish skin. The taste is very similar to a turnip but a little bit stronger and you could replace turnips in almost any recipe with rutabaga. It can be enjoyed either raw (they’re great added to coleslaw) or cooked as in this recipe.
Can You Roast Rutabaga?
Sure you can! Most root vegetables can be roasted, just be sure to cut all the pieces uniformly so they cook at the same rate.
How to Roast Rutabaga
This roasted rutabaga recipe is so simple to prepare. It is ready to serve in just 3 easy steps!
- Prepare: Preheat oven, and cube rutabaga (see recipe below)
- Roast: Toss cubed rutabagas with oil and seasonings. Roast rutabagas about an hour until they are tender.
- Caramelize: Add brown sugar and butter to the pan and coat the roasted rutabagas. Return to the oven and roast another 5 minutes (or broil if preferred).
What to Serve with Roasted Rutabagas
Roasted rutabaga makes a great side dish to chicken, pork, and beef.
Just like potatoes, rutabagas can go with nearly anything, especially with this sweetly savory recipe!
Can You Freeze Roasted Rutabaga?
Rutabagas can be frozen and thaw well if they are cooked first. They will be a little softer once thawed though.
- To Reheat: heat in the microwave, draining the liquid as it reheats. Stir and refresh them with a little salt and pepper before serving!
Delicious Roasted Root Vegetables
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots – easy one pan recipe
- Roasted Root Vegetables – ready in under an hour!
- Easy Roasted Beets – no peeling required!
- Roasted Carrots – just 4 simple ingredients!
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – simple but delicious
- Simple Roasted Turnips – freezer-friendly
Brown Sugar Roasted Rutabaga
- 3 pounds rutabaga
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel rutabaga and cut into 1" cubes. Toss with olive oil, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Spread onto a large roasting pan and roast 45-55 pan or until tender and golden.
- Remove pan from the oven, add butter and brown sugar to the pan, stir until the rutabaga is coated. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I’m diabetic, so I can’t add the sugar. Are there any other seasonings or herb recommendations that could be used? Maybe a savory option?
You can skip the brown sugar for a more savory option and it will still be delicious Christina! If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out!
I’m always looking for other ways to showcase rutabaga. I cant wait to try this. I’d love to make these for Thanksgiving this year.
I hope your family loves it Denise!