Oven-roasted turnips are the perfect side dish to any meal! This recipe is simple with just turnips, salt & pepper and a bit of olive oil/butter.
Turnips are white and pale purple in color with a flavor like a mild radish. Roasting brings out great flavor and they’re so easy to make!
Gone are the old days of bland boiled turnips! Roasting veggies adds great color and flavor while preserving the nutrients.
These are deliciously low carb and chock full of fiber and Vitamin C!
Ingredients & Variations
They have a mild flavor so they can be roasted with other root vegetables. Try carrots, beets, or parsnips!
Even though this recipe is fairly basic with butter, olive oil, sage, and salt and pepper, don’t be afraid to try using oregano, or even rosemary.
Unlike roasted beets (which are easier peeled after cooking), turnips are easier peeled before cooking.
- Cut off the top and the root with a good sharp knife.
- Using a potato peeler or a paring knife, peel from top to bottom. That’s all there is to it!
How to Roast Turnips
Roasting turnips is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Peel and cut turnips into equally sized pieces so they roast evenly.
- Toss turnips with remaining ingredients (except for the butter) and place in a prepared casserole dish.
- Roast until the turnips are tender and then toss them with butter and serve immediately.
How to Store and Reheat
Turnips are easily kept for up to 4 days in the refrigerator if they are in an airtight container. They can even be frozen and pulled out whenever the need for a low-carb, healthy side dish is in order!
More Roasted Veggies to Try!
- Crispy Garlic Roasted Broccoli – ready in 15 minutes
- Roasted Parmesan Asparagus – easy prep
- Easy Oven Roasted Carrots – only 4 ingredients
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Vegetables – with smashed garlic
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – crispy & flavorful
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts – 5 easy ingredients
Did you make these Roasted Turnips? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Simple Roasted Turnips
- 1 ½ pounds turnips peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss turnips with olive oil, sage, salt & pepper.
- Roast 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven, toss with butter and season to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!