A typical coleslaw recipe is one of those side dishes that go with anything!
This creamy coleslaw dressing recipe is bright and tangy with a hint of sweetness for a perfect slaw.
Toss it with shredded cabbage or other shredded veggies, use it as a dressing for spinach salad, potato salad, or even pasta salad.
Ingredients for Coleslaw Dressing
We think the best coleslaw dressing is creamy and tangy and a bit sweeter than most salad dressings.
Mayonnaise is the base of this creamy dressing. Some of the mayo can be replaced with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to lighten it up but it can make the dressing more watery.
Vinegar adds tang. While I love a combination of white vinegar and apple cider vinegar use one or the other if it’s all you have.
Celery Seed is a spice you may not have on hand, but it really makes the perfect flavor and shouldn’t be skipped in this recipe. You can add it to your Amazon cart here for your next batch!
Using Coleslaw Dressing
This homemade coleslaw dressing recipe is so much better than store-bought and can be used for more than just coleslaw.
- Sandwich Topper: Toss it with a bag of coleslaw mix and add it to Pulled Pork Sandwiches or burgers.
- Dressing for Other Salads: This dressing pairs especially well with bitter greens like arugula or salads with nuts or fruits.
- Marinade: Tenderize your chicken or seafood with this tangy marinade before grilling or baking.
- Potato Salad: For a creamy potato salad, mix the dressing with boiled potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and your favorite ingredients. Perfect for summer potlucks.
- Mix with Tuna or Chicken Salad: Spice up your traditional tuna salad or chicken salad with a little coleslaw dressing.
- Drizzle on Roasted Veggies: Roasted veggies will taste even better with a drizzle of this dressing.
- Dressing for Grain Bowls: Drizzle over quinoa, rice, or other grain bowls. It’s an easy way to elevate your meal prep for the week.
Coleslaw dressing will keep in a mason jar in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks so feel free to double (or triple) the recipe. Before using it again, give it a shake or stir.
Did you love this Coleslaw Dressing? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Coleslaw Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise or dressing
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ tablespoon cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, white vinegar, cider vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with 5 cups of shredded cabbage, grated carrots, broccoli slaw, or your choice of vegetables until well coated.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If you don’t have cider vinegar on hand, substitute with additional white vinegar.
- Ensure the dressing rests, this allows the acidity from the vinegars to mellow out and the flavors to blend.
- This dressing is versatile! Feel free to adjust the salt, pepper, and sugar to taste, swap in honey, or even add a pinch of paprika or Dijon mustard for a twist.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.