Bananas Foster has tender bananas in a buttery rum sauce and it’s delightfully delicious!
This dish needs just a handful of ingredients and is easy to make! Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Bananas Foster is sometimes made table-side at fancy restaurants but good news! It’s actually easy to make at home (with or without the flames)!
What is Bananas Foster?
Bananas Foster is most certainly an American dish with roots in New Orleans (and it’s a dish I learned to make in cooking classes in New Orleans).
The dish was made famous by Brennan’s restaurant and named after Richard Foster, chairman of the New Orleans Crime Commission. It is celebrated worldwide for its caramel rum flavor and impressive preparation.
In this dish, bananas are cooked in butter and brown sugar with rum. The rum is often “flambéed” or lit on fire to burn off the alcohol. (I’ve included directions with and without flames below).
What’s in Bananas Foster?
BANANAS (Of Course!) Choose bananas that are ripe but still firm. You want to be able to cook them while having them still hold their shape.
ALCOHOL The original recipe uses both rum and banana liquor. If you have banana liquor on hand, add it in but if not, I find the dish still equally delicious without it. Cooking the rum into the sauce gives it a special flavor.
BUTTER & MORE Lots of real butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon make this dish truly delicious!
NO ALCOHOL? Rum definitely gives bananas foster a traditional flavor. If you don’t have (or can’t have) alcohol, you can add a bit of juice in place (apple/pineapple/orange) and a bit of rum extract. The dish won’t be able to be ignited and the flavor will be different but still delicious.
How to Make Bananas Foster
- Melt butter, sugars, and cinnamon in a saute pan (per recipe below).
- Add sliced bananas and cook until they are softened and coated in the sauce.
- Add the rum to the pan and ignite it (optional) using a long-stem lighter. Swirl the pan about 30 seconds or until the fire burns out.
- Serve immediately over ice cream.
Delicious Desserts to Try!
- Better Than Sex Cake – so rich & decadent
- Black Forest Chocolate Trifle – only 5 ingredients
- Easy Tiramisu Recipe – no-bake dessert
- Tres Leches Cake – creamy & flavorful
- Classic Pound Cake Recipe – moist & delicious
Did you make this Bananas Foster? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- ½ cup butter unsalted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 bananas halved lengthwise
- 3 ounces dark rum
- ice cream for serving
- Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon over medium heat in a large saucepan. Cook 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add bananas and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in rum and with a long lighter, ignite rum (optional, see note). Allow the flames to burn out (about 30 seconds).
- Serve bananas over ice cream and spoon sauce over top.