A homemade pound cake is an easy dessert that uses just a few pantry staples!
When looking for a sweet treat that doesn’t need a lot of ingredients, pound cake is perfect. With four main ingredients and a little vanilla and salt for flavor, it’s ready for the oven in no time!
What Is Pound Cake?
Traditionally, pound cake is called that because the recipe takes a pound each of flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. This recipe hasn’t strayed far from the classic, I’ve just added vanilla and a pinch of salt.
Most pound cakes are baked in a loaf pan or a pound cake pan (a bundt cake mold) and are served with powdered sugar or a glaze.
Ingredients & Variations
While this recipe doesn’t measure in pounds, it does keep the traditional pound cake ingredients of flour, butter, sugar, and eggs.
Vanilla is a classic flavor and while simple, it’s so delicious!
To switch up the flavor try replacing vanilla with lemon extract and zest and topping it with a lemon glaze. Use almond extract and top a simple glaze with slivered almonds. Or try peppermint and topping it with a peppermint glaze and crushed candy canes for winter!
How To Make Pound Cake
To make a perfect pound cake from scratch, have all the ingredients prepared and ready and the oven preheated.
- Beat butter, vanilla, and sugar with a stand mixer (or hand mixer) until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Finally mix in flour & salt.
- Bake until golden on top.
Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Tips for Success
Ensure the ingredients are at room temperature before starting.
To make the perfect pound cake, beat the butter until the mixture is very light and fluffy. This takes about 8 minutes with a stand mixer.
Mix in flour just until combined.
To Glaze a Pound Cake
Cool completely. Pour warm glaze on top and sprinkle with chopped nuts or coconut if desired.
- For a bundt cake, pour the glaze slowly on the top of the cake in a circular fashion.
- For a loaf pan, pour the glaze in a side-to-side fashion from one end to the other.
To store a pound cake, keep it in a covered container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can freeze it too!
- To freeze a whole cake, wrap it in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and label with the date. Place in the freezer.
- To freeze pieces of cake, cut them into slices and wrap in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and place them in the fridge to enjoy another day!
Remove from the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator.
Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Pumpkin Dump Cake – 3 simple ingredients
- Classic Coffee Cake – with a cinnamon brown sugar topping
- Hummingbird Cake – light, creamy & sweet
- Buttery Vanilla Cake – made with a boxed mix!
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake – incredibly moist vanilla cake
Did you enjoy this Easy Recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 7-8 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat to combine.
- Combine flour and salt. Add flour mixture a little bit at a time, beating just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.