Nothing says comfort food like a bacon green bean casserole made from scratch!
Rich, creamy, savory, and oh, so delicious, a green bean casserole is a classic holiday meal for sure!
Classic Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
We love the classic Campbell’s green bean casserole as a side dish with Thanksgiving dinner.
This version has the same flavors with green beans and onions but is leveled up with a rich flavorful cream sauce replacing the mushroom soup and a little bit of bacon.
Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole
- Green Beans Fresh is best but frozen works too!
- Onions & Mushrooms are pan-fried and added to the sauce for lots of flavor.
- Bacon use regular uncooked bacon, you need the little bit of fat to cook the onions and mushrooms
- Cream Sauce A simple yet decadent sauce is made with light cream, chicken broth, and seasonings.
- Toppings include a buttery, cheesy, bacon topping… need I say more?
How to Make Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
- Cook the beans. Boil green beans in a pot of water with a pinch of baking soda.
- Cook bacon until crisp, set aside. Add onion & mushrooms.
- Add light cream & broth per the recipe below and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and green beans.
- Place the green bean mixture in a casserole dish, top with crispy bacon and cheesy bread crumbs.
- Bake until browned and bubbly.
PRO TIP: Adding a pinch of baking soda to green veggies while boiling helps to keep their bright green color without changing the flavor!
How to Make Ahead
- This casserole can be assembled and refrigerated up to 48 hours ahead of time, keep the bread crumbs separate until you are ready to bake.
- If assembled ahead of time, remove from the fridge while the oven preheats and add an additional 10 minutes cooking time.
- Keep leftover green bean casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Green Bean Favorites
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Szechuan Green Beans
- Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Green Beans
- Green Beans with Bacon
Did your family love this Green Bean Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Bacon Green Bean Casserole
- 1 ¼ pound green beans trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 slices bacon uncooked, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ small onion finely diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1 cup light cream
- ¾ cup chicken broth reduced sodium
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add ½ teaspoon baking soda*(see note) to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cut beans in half and simmer 5-6 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain well.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain leaving the grease in the pan. Add 2 tablespoons butter and onion. Cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, pepper, salt (or to taste), poultry seasoning, and thyme leaves. Cook until mushrooms have released their juices and are tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the cream and chicken broth. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Toss with drained green beans.
- Place in a 2qt baking dish, top with bacon and breadcrumb mixture and bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and bread crumbs are browned.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!