Apple Pie Bites are a quick and easy way to get your apple pie fix in a delicious hand held bite! Crisp cinnamon sugar shells are filled with a warm apple pie filling and topped with whipped cream or ice cream; the perfect fall bite.
I am so excited to have partnered with Flatout Flatbread® to bring you this belly warming recipe.
I truly love all things apple pie inspired from Apple Pie Bread to Apple Pie Egg Rolls! The combination of cinnamon and sweet tart apples is the epitome of fall and such a classic; it adorns every holiday table if I have any say.
These Apple Pie Bites are as tasty as they are easy! They have a deliciously crisp cinnamon sugar shell with a quick and easy apple pie inspired filling. All of the delicious apple pie flavors you can’t get enough of in an easy hand held bite!
To make these extra quick and easy, I start with a simple crust made from Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crust. While these pizza crusts make the most delicious thin crust pizzas, they’re absolutely perfect as a dessert crust too! You can find the Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crusts near you here, they’re perfect for topping with sweet or savory!
We cut them out using a 3.25″ round cookie cutter. This makes them the perfect size shell in a regular muffin tin. While they will actually fit into a mini muffin pan, it makes them difficult to fill so I’d suggest using a standard pan.
Be sure to keep the extra little leftover bits of pizza crust! We put them into a freezer bag with any leftover melted butter and the extra cinnamon sugar, gave it a shake and baked them at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. They make delicious cinnamon sugar crisps!
I tend to prefer using Granny Smith apples for these Apple Pie Bites as they’re slightly tart and don’t get mushy with cooking. Of course you can use any type of apple, the key is making sure you don’t overcook them.
One thing I really love about this recipe is that it’s perfect for feeding a crowd as it can be made ahead of time!
The cinnamon sugar shells can be made up to 5 days before serving, cooled completely and sealed in an airtight container. As for the filling, I often make it the day of serving and leave it at room temperature until everyone is ready to eat. It’s best if the shells are filled just before serving.
These easy apple pie bite are perfect served with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream or even a small scoop of frozen whipped topping.
Apple Pie Bites
Cinnamon Sugar Shells
- 1 package Flatout Artisan Thin Pizza Crust 6 peices
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
APPLE PIE FILLING
- 3 medium granny smith apples
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cinnamon Sugar Shells
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine cinnamon & sugar in a small bowl.
- Cut out three 3 ¼″ circles from each Flatout Thin Crust Pizza Crust. Generously brush both sides with butter and dip each side in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Press into a standard sized muffin tin and bake 12-14 minutes or just until set.
Apple Pie Filling
- Peel, core and chop apples into bite sized pieces.
- Combine butter, cinnamon, apples, sugar, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
- Just before serving spoon apple mixture into cinnamon sugar shells. Top whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love