This is a really easy, really spring-y dessert and it makes a perfect Easter cake! Starting with a pre-made cake, this takes just about 15 minutes to put together and it’s so adorable! In fact, it’s so easy you can have the kids help you decorate it!
With a 9″ cake I used about 20 yellow chick Peeps but it’s a good idea to have a couple extra on hand (especially if the kids are helping you, Peeps are hard to resist). You can use any size cake, just ensure you have enough frosting to cover it and extra Peeps if it is large.
If you’re looking for more Easter ideas, you’ll have to check out my Bunny Butt Cupcakes while you’re here! They are SO cute!!
Items you’ll need for this recipe:
Sunflower Peep Cake
- 1 9-inch round cake store-bought (makes it super easy and quick) or home-made
- 1 container of chocolate frosting
- 2-3 packages yellow Marshmallow Peeps a nine-inch cake will use 20 Marshmallow Peeps, but it’s good to have extras, just in case!
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ⅛ cup mini chocolate chips
- Frost the cake with the chocolate frosting.
- Take a strip of 5 Marshmallow peeps and gently flex it into a semi-circle shape, being careful not to separate them. Place them gently around the edge of the cake, facing inwards. Their tails will hang over the edge of the cake. Do this until you have a full circle of Peeps. If you need to, you can carefully trim a sliver off of both sides of a strip of Peeps, so that they’ll stick together better.
- Take the regular-sized chocolate chips and place them in rows inside the circle formed by the Peeps. Make 4 or 5 complete circular rows of regular-sized chocolate chips.
- Take the mini chocolate chips and place them in rows inside the circle formed by the regular-sized chocolate chips. Fill in any open spots with mini chocolate chips, as needed.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)