Homemade pizza dough takes a bit of time but it’s actually incredibly easy to make from scratch!
Simple pantry ingredients come together to create a dough that is crisp and fluffy with a slight chew, perfect for loading with your fave toppings!
Fresh From the Oven
This recipe is a favorite, we absolutely LOVE this dough and it’s easy to make!
- Minimal ingredients and minimal steps make the best pizza dough!
- While this dough takes time, the flavor and texture are perfect.
- No special tools or ingredients are needed.
- This savory dough can be used for pizza, Stromboli, breadsticks, and calzones.
- The dough can be made ahead of time and it freezes well.
The best pizza dough starts with simple ingredients.
YEAST Instant yeast makes this dough both quick and easy to make.
FLOUR I use all-purpose flour for pizza dough. If you’d prefer, whole wheat flour can be added in place of some of the all-purpose. Bread flour will create a crisper crust.
SUGAR Sugar helps activate the yeast, helps a little bit with browning and adds flavor.
OIL I love using olive oil in pizza dough for great flavor and to help make the dough tender but any oil will work. Brush a little extra on the dough before baking for an extra crisp crust.
HERBS You can add your favorite herbs and flavors to this dough as desired.
How to Make Pizza Dough
- Whisk instant yeast into the flour (be sure you are using instant yeast) until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients (per recipe below) and stir until the dough holds together.
- Place the dough on the counter and knead until smooth & elastic, about 5 minutes (or mix in a stand mixer).
- Let dough rise in a greased bowl until doubled in size. Punch down dough & divide.
- Stretch or roll pizzas to the desired size and top with sauce and toppings.
PRO DOUGH TIP: Pizza dough can be made ahead of time and frozen. When you’d like to make pizza, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight and proceed with the recipe as written.
How to Roll/Stretch Pizza Dough
Pizza dough can be stretched or rolled to fit your pizza pan. Stretching pizza dough gives the best texture (but I find rolling to be quick and easy).
Use either flour or olive oil to keep your dough from sticking to the surface. If using flour, don’t use too much or it will make the dough tough. Use just enough to keep the dough springy and pliable.
Make the dough just a little bit bigger than your pizza pan and gently place it on the pan. Either roll the edges in or just press the edges of the pizza so it is a little bit thicker on the outer crust.
Poke the dough with a fork before adding toppings, this helps keep large bubbles forming as it bakes. Brush the dough with a little bit of olive oil for flavor and top with pizza sauce and toppings as desired.
Pizza Dough Tips
- Be sure to measure the flour correctly for the best consistency.
- Bread flour can be used in place of all-purpose and will create a crispier crust.
- You can use a stand mixer to knead the dough but we prefer kneading by hand.
- Ensure dough is room temperature before stretching or rolling.
- Freeze pizza dough as a whole or in balls for last-minute baked deliciousness! Once the dough has been proofed, simply form it into balls, brush with olive oil and seal in plastic wrap. Store all of the dough balls in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside and they will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Ways to Use Pizza Dough
- Easy Homemade Calzone Recipe – a family favorite
- Cheesy Breakfast Pizza
- Stromboli Recipe – ready in 30 minutes
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- The Best Cheesy Breadsticks – perfect with pasta
- Homemade Supreme Pizza
- Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls – kid friendly
Did you make this Pizza Dough? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
The Best Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 package instant dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 3 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- Stir the yeast into the flour.
- Stir the water, olive oil, sugar, and salt into the flour mixture. Knead the dough by hand for 5-7 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover, let rise in a warm area for 30-40 or until doubled. Punch the dough down and divide into 2 portions. Dough can be frozen at this point.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly flour a work surface and stretch or roll the dough into the desired pizza shape. Gently fold the edges under to form a crust. Allow the dough to rest about 10-15 minutes.
- Poke the dough with a fork and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Top pizza with toppings as desired and bake 11-14 minutes. Cool 3-5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.