If you like pizza, you’ll love this easy recipe and it’s ready in about 30 minutes.
This easy Stromboli recipe starts with refrigerated pizza dough. It is loaded with salami, pepperoni, ham, and lots of cheese. It’s all rolled up and baked until golden.
Slice and serve with an extra helping of your favorite sauce for dipping.
An Italian Favorite Made Easy
I don’t know anything that will bring the family to the table faster than the smell of pizza baking in the oven. Stromboli pizza is that magical combination of dough, meat, and cheese with Italian seasoning that gets them every time.
This stromboli recipe is quick and easy enough to serve as an appetizer for a crowd but it’s also great to serve for a weeknight dinner. I often make two (switch up the flavors for variety!) and send leftover stromboli for school or work lunches the next day!
What Is The Difference Between a Calzone and a Stromboli?
Let’s start with what is a Stromboli? You won’t find a lot of difference between stromboli vs calzone.
A stromboli is like a pizza that is rolled into a log before baking and once baked it is sliced. Either way, they’re both delicious and use many of the same ingredients! A calzone is essentially a pizza folded in half and sealed, it is usually in a semi-circle shape (and often contains ricotta cheese).
Ingredients for Stromboli
One of the best things about this stromboli recipe is how easy it is to prep. If you have kids who like to help in the kitchen, they can probably prepare almost the entire recipe without help (depending on age of course)!
- The Crust – Use refrigerated pizza dough to make this an easy 30-minute meal or if time allows, make homemade pizza dough.
- The Sauce – I like to use either homemade marinara sauce or pizza sauce but of course, store-bought is great too. I found an Italian market in my city and asked for recommendations, I keep a few cans in the cupboard recipes like this.
- Toppings & Fillings – I keep these basic (and family-friendly) using salami, pepperoni, and ham as well as a good covering of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.You can add any filling you’d like when making homemade stromboli, from meats to bell peppers to olives. If you are using veggies that have a lot of water, like mushrooms, be sure to cook them first and dab dry or drain well. Meats (like sausage) should be pre-cooked or ‘ready to eat’. If adding onions, I like to soften in a pan first as well.
How to Make Stromboli
This stromboli recipe is super easy to make.
- Roll out pizza dough
- Add cheese and toppings and roll into a log.
- Brush with egg wash and bake. So easy!
We brush with an egg wash but if you’d prefer, you can brush the top with olive oil or melted butter (or even garlic butter). Sprinkle it with a bit of parmesan or some fresh herbs if you’d like.
To Make Stromboli Ahead of Time
Stromboli is perfect for prepping ahead and either refrigerating or freezing!
- Prepare fully, then cover with plastic wrap on the baking sheet and refrigerate up to 12 hours before baking.
- Or prepare, bake, cool, wrap tightly and freeze. To serve, thaw for 5-6 hours at room temperature, then heat at 350°F for 10-20 minutes until heated through.
More Pizza Inspired Recipes You’ll Love!
- One Pot Pepperoni Mac and Cheese With Bacon – bacon, enough said!
- Bubble Pizza Bread – everyone loves it, kids especially!
- Margherita Pizza – classic
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – a popular reader recipe
- Grilled Cheeseburger Pizza – fun dinner, under 20 minutes!
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll pizza dough out on a lightly floured surface into a roughly 12" x 16" rectangle (it doesn't have to be perfect).
- Spread marinara sauce over pizza dough, but leave one inch all the way around and 2-3" at the long side furthest from you.
- Top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese, then ham, salami, and pepperoni. Finish with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Roll up as tightly as possible, doing your best not to push out the toppings as you do so. Stop just before you reach the end.
- Whisk together egg, water, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Brush over pizza dough where the edges will meet, then pinch together.
- Place on prepared baking sheet with the seal down and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and slightly puffed. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)