Sautéed zucchini is low cal, low-carb and has great flavor.
Thick coins of zucchini squash are seasoned with garlic, butter, and basil. This side dish cooks up quickly in a skillet and is as easy as it is delicious!
This side dish pairs well with salmon, steak, grilled chicken, or other roasted meats.
A Quick Zucchini Side Dish
- This is a healthy side dish that is really quick to prep (and can be prepared up to 2 days before cooking).
- This easy sautéed zucchini recipe has just a few ingredients and lots of flavor.
- Add in your favorite seasonings or fresh herbs if you have them on hand.
- Make this zucchini recipe as a side dish or add sauteed zucchini to a casserole or pasta dish!
Ingredients for Sautéed Zucchini
Zucchini – Choose squashes that are full and heavy with intact skin. Mix it up with a few slices of yellow squash for color.
Add-Ins – Zucchini has a mild flavor and partners well with many other veggies. Try adding sliced red onions, mushrooms, corn, tomatoes, or red peppers!
Seasonings – We like to keep seasonings simple in this zucchini saute. If you’d like, add some fresh dill, lemon juice or zest, or other herbs like thyme, or red pepper flakes. If you have fresh herbs like parsley or basil, they should be added at the end of cooking.
Or toss with parmesan cheese before serving.
How to Sauté Zucchini
Ensure you use a large skillet so most of the zucchini is in a single layer. This helps it cook evenly and allows the slices to caramelize a little bit.
- Slice the zucchini into rounds (or moons if it’s large) per the recipe below.
- Toss with oil, basil, salt, & black pepper and cook until tender crisp.
- Move the zucchini to the side of the skillet & cook the garlic in butter. Toss it all together and enjoy!
Keep leftover sauteed zucchini in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Sauteed zucchini can be frozen but won’t be firm once it’s thawed. Simply stir it into a soup or add it to a stew!
Extra Garden Zucchini?
Did your family love this Sauteed Zucchini? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 2 medium zucchini about 12 ounces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil optional
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Slice zucchini to ½ inch thickness.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Toss zucchini with oil, basil, and salt & pepper.
- Add zucchini and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Move the zucchini to one side of the pan and add butter and garlic. Cook until zucchini is tender, about 2 minute more.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Delicious! Easy. I used 3 med size zucchini. I didn’t use Parmesan.
I am so glad you loved this zucchini recipe Sandra!