This Roasted Tomato Soup is one of our favorite soups! Roasting tomatoes is easy to do and adds a delicious smoky flavor making this soup rich and flavorful!
You can use any type of sausage in this soup as it’s cooked through before adding. I find using a Kielbasa or garlic sausage is great because it’s already cooked and just needs a little frying for some flavor. I’ve even used turkey sausage for a lightened up dish! Use whatever variety of tomato you have, I’ve made it with regular tomatoes from the grocery store or even Roma or cherry tomatoes… all were great.
I usually try to keep fresh herbs on hand, they are an easy way to add a flavor boost, including in this roasted tomato soup! You’ll also want to be sure to add in the fresh herbs at the end of cooking however if you only have dried herbs, add them in while the soup is simmering to allow time for the flavors to blend.
Parmesan rinds are the ends of the parmesan cheese and can usually be bought at the deli counter, if you don’t see them, just ask. I buy about 5 rinds for $2.50 and store them in the freezer for months. Perfect to add flavor to soups, sauces and more.
Items You’ll Need For Roasted Tomato Soup
Sausage and Roasted Tomato Soup
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- 3.5 lbs tomatoes fresh
- 1 bell pepper red
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups beef broth
- 12 oz sausage (such as Kielbasa) sliced
- 1 parmesan rind (see note below)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons parsley fresh chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil fresh chopped
- parmesan cheese fresh, grated
- Preheat oven to 425° .
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, bell pepper & onion. Toss with garlic, olive oil, vinegar and Italian seasoning. Spread in a single layer on a foil lined pan.
- Roast 15 minutes. Stir and place on broil for an additional 10 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly charred on some of the edges.
- Meanwhile, slice and pan fry sausage until cooked through.
- Reserve 1 cup of the roasted vegetable mixture. Add the remaining tomatoes to the beef broth and blend until mostly smooth. (You don't want it totally liquified, you do want to leave a little bit of texture in the soup).
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot including the reserved vegetables. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove parmesan rind and discard. Stir in fresh herbs and serve.
More Recipes You’ll Love