Salmon Patties are a fun way to get your seafood fix in this summer season. Flaky salmon is tossed with sweet onions, fresh herbs, breadcrumbs, and spices then fried until golden and crisp.
Serve them with your favorite dip, tartar sauce or just enjoy them as is!
You may remember the amazing Herb Crusted Baked Salmon I made recently which was inspired by our recent Alaskan Cruise! Princess Cruises hosted our cruise, served us loads of amazing seafood and sponsored this delicious salmon patties recipe. My husband and I (and our friends) literally can’t stop talking about how much fun we loved the cruise!
Visiting Alaska on an Alaskan cruise with Princess Cruises is honestly one of the most spectacular things I’ve ever done! Alaska really is a bucket list trip and absolutely something everyone needs to experience at least once in their life! We were blessed with amazing weather (in May) and enjoyed so many incredible excursions! There is something for everyone since there are tons of excursions to choose from!
We got to visit glaciers (the one in the photo below is the Mendenhall Glacier) which is truly one of the most extraordinary sights you’ll ever see!
A couple of our favorites included the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and Whale Watching & Seafood Feast, and what a feast it was!
I can’t even count the number of whales we saw (not only on the whale watching tour, but on the salmon fishing tour too). It was truly the experience of a lifetime! We were completely surrounded by beautiful ocean water, tons of wildlife, and mountain ranges that looked like something out of a nature magazine it was hard to believe it was real!
I honestly loved every moment of our cruise, the views were amazing, the excursions were breathtaking and the company of my fellow bloggers was so much fun! I can’t think about seafood without thinking of our Alaskan cruise and of course it has inspired me to create some more yummy seafood recipes for you guys to try. So, let’s get these salmon patties on your table!
How To Make Salmon Patties
It doesn’t take long to make these little patties of joy. I use canned salmon but you can use leftover salmon.
- Using a fork, flake the salmon (double check for any bones that might have been missed when your salmon was filleted).
- Cook the onions in butter to soften.
- Gently combine your ingredients and chill for a few minutes. Form patties and chill again.
- Fry your salmon patties until they are golden on both sides.
- Serve with with dill pickle tartar sauce.
What to Serve with Salmon Patties
Salmon patties are such an easy dinner option (or make for a quick lunch too). I love serving them while I sit outside with a fresh zucchini salad or a lovely salad with lemon vinaigrette and a glass of white wine.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- 2 cans salmon 6 ounces each, or 2-3 cups leftover flaked salmon
- 1 cup breadcrumbs divided
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 2 tablepsoons olive oil
- Melt butter in pan and cook onion until softed, about 3-4 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl, combine drained salmon, ½ cup breadcrumbs, old bay seasoning, eggs, lemon, dill, and parsley. Add cooked onions and mix.
- Refrigerate mixture 15 minutes. Remove from fridge and form salmon mixture into patties.
- Place remaining ½ cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dip the salmon patties into the breadcrumbs and gently press to adhere. Place in a refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour (this helps them to hold their shape).
- Preheat skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan and cook salmon patties until golden.
- Serve with tartar sauce and additional herbs if desired.