Versions of this healthy soup have been around for decades for good reason.
Cabbage soup is light in calories with big flavor. Chopped cabbage and a handful of simple ingredients simmer together to make a delicious healthy soup.
Chock full of goodness, it’s nutritious, simple, and tasty. This soup makes a great starter, side dish, or light lunch or dinner.
Why We Love This Cabbage Soup Recipe
- It needs just a handful of ingredients.
- It’s low cal, low fat and has great flavor.
- We enjoy this soup before meals as a healthy start. Enjoying a lean soup is a great way to balance a meal and cut calories overall.
- Different from “cabbage roll soup,” this recipe skips the meat and rice making it lean and healthy!
- Make this soup as a base and add in shredded chicken, whole grains like brown rice or quinoa, or even lean ground beef to make it a heartier meal.
Ingredients in Cabbage Soup
This healthy soup has been a staple for veggie lovers and even dieters alike. It’s know by other names like zero point soup, WW soup or vegetable soup. The great things is that you can add your own favorite veggies and flavors.
Cabbage is an easy and inexpensive veggie that’s low in calories. It adds a lot of bulk to this soup. I chop it into 1″ pieces but you can change it up or even swap out a bag of shredded coleslaw to make it even faster (reduce cooking time for coleslaw).
We find beef broth gives the best flavor but just like with our weight loss vegetable soup, you can use chicken or vegetable broth. The diced tomatoes (with juices) add a zesty flavor along with some simple seasonings.
To keep it quick, there are just a few ingredients in this recipe but you can add almost any vegetable you’d like. I usually enjoy this as a lower carb option so other favorites for me include cauliflower, celery, and diced turnips.
How To Make Cabbage Soup
- Saute onion in olive oil (or bacon grease if you have it.) Add cabbage per the recipe below and saute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the cabbage is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
Try a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving, or a sprinkle of parmesan or some fresh herbs!
Other Additions to Cabbage Soup
This cabbage soup recipe is a great base for meals, you can add almost anything to it.
- Vegetables: Diced potatoes, cauliflower rice, celery, broccoli, tomato sauce.
- Protien: Browned ground turkey or lean Italian Sausage, or mini meatballs. For some fiber add in a can of drained kidney beans.
- Grains: Add couscous, rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta.
- Seasonings: Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, fresh garlic, herbs like basil, oregano, fresh parsley, or thyme.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Most non-dairy based soups and stews can be frozen and this quick cabbage soup is no different.
To freeze, once cooled ladle it into zippered bags or an airtight freezer container and label with the date. It will stay fresh in the freezer for about two months. (Keeping it longer may make it lose flavor.)
To thaw, let it come to room temp and reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. Add some extra diced tomatoes for color, or reinvent it entirely and add some drained canned corn or some diced bell peppers or green beans. Let your imagination run wild!
Tasty Cabbage Recipes
- Easy Cabbage Rolls
- Fried Cabbage – sweet & tender!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker Recipe (Video)
- Colcannon – delicious cabbage and potatoes
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
Quick Cabbage Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 6 cups cabbage
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Cook onion in olive oil until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, dice cabbage into ½" pieces. Add cabbage to the pot and cook over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 8 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking prepare other ingredients. Add all ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Discard bay leaf, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)