Quick Cabbage Soup makes a comeback in this amazingly healthy recipe. Not only is this cabbage soup tasty and easy to make, but full of flavor, loaded with veggies and some tomatoes to give it some zest!
Different from “cabbage roll soup,” this recipe skips the meat and rice making it lean and healthy! It is chock full of veggies easy to prep and cook! Pair it with these famous cheesy garlic breadsticks and a creamy cucumber salad.
How To Make Cabbage Soup
- Saute onion in olive oil (or bacon grease if you have it.) Add cabbage and saute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer.
- Remove the bay leaf and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper before serving.
Try a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving!
This is a great base recipe and perfect for additions from lean meats to rice or potatoes plus of course any kind of veggie!
What To Add To Cabbage Soup
So many things can be added, and it’s simple to keep it on the vegetarian side if desired!
- Diced potatoes, carrot coins or small florets of broccoli or cauliflower add a healthy punch of vitamins.
- To make it into a meal with some mini meatballs, a ham-hock or some ground beef!
- Add starches such as couscous, rice, quinoa or pasta!
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Most non-dairy based soups and stews can be frozen and this quick cabbage soup is no different.
To freeze, once cooled ladle it into zippered bags or an airtight freezer container and label with the date. It will stay fresh in the freezer for about two months. (Keeping it longer may make it lose flavor.)
To thaw, let it come to room temp and reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. Add some extra diced tomatoes for color, or reinvent it entirely and add some drained canned corn or some diced bell peppers or green beans. Let your imagination run wild!
Tasty Cabbage Recipes
- Easy Cabbage Rolls
- Fried Cabbage – sweet & tender!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker Recipe (Video)
- Colcannon – delicious cabbage and potatoes
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
Quick Cabbage Soup
- ½ onion diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups cabbage diced 1/2"
- 1 carrot shredded
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh
- Cook onion in olive oil until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, dice cabbage. Add cabbage to the pot and cook over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 8 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking prepare other ingredients. Add all ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Discard bay leaf, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)