Fried cabbage is a quick side dish that’s easy to make and has so much flavor.
Cabbage and onions are pan fried in a little bit of bacon grease until tender! Season and top with crumbled bacon before serving.
Why We Love Fried Cabbage
Southern fried cabbage becomes sweet and tender and bacon & onion add great flavor.
- This is a simple side dish that needs just a few ingredients.
- It’s inexpensive to make with a head of cabbage and a few slices of bacon.
- It’s versatile, add extra onions, swap bacon for ham, add some garlic.
- Fried cabbage with bacon needs just one pan and is fast to make too.
- Served hot as a side, stir in egg noodles, or even use it to top a hot dog or pork chops.
Ingredients for Fried Cabbage
The beauty of this fried cabbage recipe is how basic it is, but how many different ways it can be prepared! Growing up with a Polish grandmother cabbage was always on the menu from Cabbage Rolls to so soups and more.
CABBAGE: A basic head of cabbage is all that is needed. You can use any kind of cabbage including red cabbage for a colorful side.
BACON: Bacon adds a salty smoky flavor and the fat is great for cooking the onions and cabbage. If you don’t have bacon, you can use ham or even leftover corned beef. If using a lower fat bacon (like turkey bacon or vegan bacon) you’ll need to add some extra butter or oil to replace the bacon grease.
OPTIONS: Add a couple of cloves of garlic if you’d like. Finish with a squeeze of lemon, apple cider vinegar, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Make it a Meal
We love cabbage and noodles and often make them with sausage. To stretch this meal even further, boil some noodles and stir them into the mixture before serving!
How to Make Fried Cabbage
Cabbage is so easy and when cooked low and slow, it is tender and sweet.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside (leave the drippings in the pan!).
- Fry the onion in the bacon drippings until tender. Stir in chopped cabbage and cook (as per recipe below).
- Season and serve.
Cabbage is best cooked low and slow to bring out the sweet flavor. It will take about 15 minutes or so to fry cabbage.
Time Saving Tip: If you’re short on time, add a few tablespoons of chicken broth to the cabbage in the pan. This will help it to steam as it cooks reducing cooking time and adding flavor!
What to Serve With Fried Cabbage
As a main dish, fried cabbage stands alone and is great with cooked egg noodles as a main dish.
Keep fried cabbage with bacon in a covered container for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in quart-sized zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. The cabbage mixture will be soft, but add some fresh cabbage and reheat in a skillet. Or, add leftover cabbage with bacon to a stir fry with meat. Or add it into a soup or stew!
More Ways to Love Cabbage
- Easy Cabbage Rolls – a family favorite
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe – a great side dish
- Braised Red Cabbage – colorful and fun
- Colcannon Recipe (Cabbage and Potatoes) – classic
- Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Soup – seriously easy
Did you make this Cabbage & Bacon recipe? Be sure to leave us a rating and a comment below!
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cups cabbage core removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside (leave the drippings in the pan).
- Add onion to bacon drippings and cook until tender.
- Stir in cabbage and cook 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Season with chili flakes, salt, & pepper to taste. Stir in bacon and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!